decoying

the corn in the opposite field has finally been cut and im in need of some decoying done :good: so im going on tuesay but basically i am looking for some tips , im fairly new ( one year ) and the last time i tryed i would close the gun ( quietly) but as soon as i was about to put the gun up the pigeons violently swerve.. as iff i had just appeared out of no where .. im shooting in a hide and im pretty well concealed as far as my newbie eyes can tell ? any tips guys ? much appreciated

Watch the way pigeons fly when you see them, they have a very distinctive way of flaring their wings as they land. Some birds will slow as they approach a tree but keep their wings level which means they can change their mind and fly off at near full speed if the need arises, pigeons just dump their speed at the last moment by turning their wings forward when they are about to land. At this point they're very vulnerable as it is hard for them to change direction at this point and if they do it will take them time to pick up any speed. They're quite easy to nail at this stage, just be careful not to blast your decoys.

I found confidence in your shooting makes a big difference, give your self a break and make it a bit easier on yourself while you're gaining experience.