Shot this lad over Xmas

gary29428

I went with a friend and used his .243, he was shot in Co.Clare which is on the west coast over here. Shot in a clearing in a heavily wooded area at about 120yrds, all happened very quick we were only out about 20mins. It's the first buck I've shot and the meat was a bit dissapointing, I had presiously shot Sika doe's which are outstanding eating. Took all the usual cuts and miced everything else. Probably wouldn't shot another buck if I had a choice, I always wanted too so am glad I got the chance but it will doe's or younger animals in the future. Great buzz thou.......they really fill the optics.........

Sounds like you had fun. :)

Ever thought about getting into it yourself?

Im thinking of getting a 6.5x55 next year, as im getting hooked myself.

What make of rifle does your mate have and the type of ammo used?

Clare is not too far from me, i have an idea where it is.

I myself mince the big old bucks aswel, far to tough otherwise :) .

The rifle is a BRNO and the bullet was a 100gr SP, federal I think. To get into it myself I would probably have to lose my CZ hornet as I can't have 2 center fires and there no way that is going to happen. The few trips I get during the year are enough to keep me in good meat and satisfy my tirst for something bigger then Charlie. How many deer would you get in a season...and what species.

The rifle is a BRNO and the bullet was a 100gr SP, federal I think. To get into it myself I would probably have to lose my CZ hornet as I can't have 2 center fires and there no way that is going to happen. The few trips I get during the year are enough to keep me in good meat and satisfy my tirst for something bigger then Charlie. How many deer would you get in a season...and what species.

As for the number of deer my mate gets, who also has a .243, its around 15 to 20 odd. He prefers Sika to fallow, reckons its much more tender.

If you want more details of getting a deer permit ect, just PM me. Id say your freind who shoots deer will probably know all about this, too.

Gary, in no way will you have to get rid of your Hornet mate.

You have a very good reason to hold a Hornet and if you decided to get a deer caliber, all you have to do is apply for a deer permit from the wildlife department.

In order to get your deer permit, you get written permision from farmers who have deer on their lands. You then send the appllication back to them and get your permit.

Once you get your permit, choose the type of rifle you want, get the details of the rifle, along with the deer permit and take it to your local garda station. (police for those of you dont know, their known as the garda over here)

I know people with 5 rifles.

I myself have 2, a .22lr and a .223 and am thinking of getting a deer rifle within the next year or so, i should have no problems. :)

One person i know has, 2 rimfires and 4 centerfire rifles. :)

The law is getting easier and the new firearms amendment bill will make things a bit easier.

Thanks for the advice Frank, I didn't know that. I'll have a serious think about it, the land would be no problem, I know of several farmers who have deer on there land and they have often asked for help controlling them. Have always had to pass them onto someone else. Thanks...

Thanks for the advice Frank, I didn't know that. I'll have a serious think about it, the land would be no problem, I know of several farmers who have deer on there land and they have often asked for help controlling them. Have always had to pass them onto someone else. Thanks...

If you want the Tel phone number of the place in Dublin where you can get an application form for a deer permit, then send me a PM and ill give it to you . :)