cz 452 or savage 93r17 in 17hmr?

jamesmacc

hello, im new on here and just recieved my firearms licence through the post last week, i have been to a few gun shops and held a few nice guns.

the first one i liked was the cz 452 varmint .17hmr (£430) and then tried the savage 93r17 thumbhole stock .17hmr (£625), the savage felt a far more quality stock than the 452 but is also almost £200 dearer.

i have spent hours reading reviews about them both and they both seem excellent rifles, the only fault with the cz 452 seems to be a poor trigger wich can be sorted with a £12 trigger kit, the only fault with the savage 93r17 is that a few people have reported poor accuracy caused by metal burs left in the crown from the manufacturers, but others have bought them and reported excellent accuracy.

i had another look on line and couldnt believe my luck when i noticed some dealers do the cz 452 varmint in a laminate stock for £500 wich looks very similar to the savage. for the life of me i cant decide between the two, i dont mind paying the extra £200 if im not going to get any problems.

personal opinion or any reviews or advise about either rifle would be a great help

One of these? (excuse the mess on my sofa)

I've had one and got rid of it, lovely looking, very accurate but heavy and long. Magazine release is infuriating, but the main reason I sold it was because of the stock, I just couldn't shoulder it quite right with the thumb hole.

For what its worth it got exchanged for a 452...

hello, im new on here and just recieved my firearms licence through the post last week, i have been to a few gun shops and held a few nice guns.

the first one i liked was the cz 452 varmint .17hmr (£430) and then tried the savage 93r17 thumbhole stock .17hmr (£625), the savage felt a far more quality stock than the 452 but is also almost £200 dearer.

i have spent hours reading reviews about them both and they both seem excellent rifles, the only fault with the cz 452 seems to be a poor trigger wich can be sorted with a £12 trigger kit, the only fault with the savage 93r17 is that a few people have reported poor accuracy caused by metal burs left in the crown from the manufacturers, but others have bought them and reported excellent accuracy.

i had another look on line and couldnt believe my luck when i noticed some dealers do the cz 452 varmint in a laminate stock for £500 wich looks very similar to the savage. for the life of me i cant decide between the two, i dont mind paying the extra £200 if im not going to get any problems.

personal opinion or any reviews or advise about either rifle would be a great help

post-19934-1284542368.jpg

Edited by kyska

Hi james where are you from and welcome on here, there are alot of helpful members, years ,decades or may be even centrey's of knowledge on here. I have had cz for years in .22 and did have one in 17 for about 3years and never really had any problems, as you said do the trigger if your not happy with it 20min job approx. and they shoot well,as for the savage i had a look at a couple they look nice but steered towards the cz, as you said if have herd there a burrs around the crown in these rifle then you would get messed about trying to sort it out from makers you be sending backwards and forwards and may take weeks to sort out so save 200 pound put the extra on scope and mounts and have years of trouble free shooting :good:

Yes, the bolt on the savage became very sloppy very quickly, the ejectors didn't pick up properly and the magazine also caused problems, but nothing major.

The 452 did what it said on the packet, being the synthetic stock I wasn't too worried about it getting bashed about, and it was lighter and shorter.

Saying that though I had a savage laminate .22lr and it was bloody brilliant!

thankyou for the welcome. yeh i also thought that the £200 i could save would go towards decent scope/and maybe a sak moderator. KYSKA do you find the 452 an overall better rifle? i will get it in thumbhole stock if my dealer can track one down

Yes, the bolt on the savage became very sloppy very quickly, the ejectors didn't pick up properly and the magazine also caused problems, but nothing major.

The 452 did what it said on the packet, being the synthetic stock I wasn't too worried about it getting bashed about, and it was lighter and shorter.

Saying that though I had a savage laminate .22lr and it was bloody brilliant!

Sounds like the 452 is abit more rugged then. think i will go for the 452, hopefully they can get me a thumbhole stock version

I've owned CZ's in .22 and have the Savage .17 Thumbhole now. I've got a nice silver SAK on mine though. I've not seen bad reviews to be honest and mine is pinpoint accurate and just feels far better quality than a CZ with a fantastic trigger setup straight out of the box without having to go piddling around with customizing from day one!

I dont have bad things to say about the CZ exactly, just that its most peoples starter gun and they then go and get something better. They are fine and reliable but need attention from day one to get them right. Unless your unlucky, the Savage will come out of the box on day one feeling and shooting like a premium bit of kit with no tweaking required.

Money aside, if you put each gun in a shooters hands and asked them to pick I'd be very suprised if the build and quality of the Savage didnt win out! Youd have to go and do just that to see what I mean. If your in the Northwest your welcome to come and shoot mine!

Obviously I'm going to be a bit biased but I had the exact choice you had and went with the Savage!

I can't dispute what ellebarto is saying, the savage do feel a more substantial build quality, and as I said there is no issue with the accuracy, the trigger is great also.

It just didn't seem to fit me properly for some reason, maybe I just don't get on with thumbhole stocks.

I prefer the CZ though for the points I've already made.

I can't dispute what ellebarto is saying, the savage do feel a more substantial build quality, and as I said there is no issue with the accuracy, the trigger is great also.

It just didn't seem to fit me properly for some reason, maybe I just don't get on with thumbhole stocks.

I prefer the CZ though for the points I've already made.

Yeah I think Thumbhole stocks are marmite to be honest. Ive got a nice little .22 Anschutz with a Thumbhole stock and I think both guns are fantastic. The very experienced shooter who taught me the ropes things they are both flash, difficult to mount and generally wont touch them!

I'd say CZ. You can get your thumbhole version for about 400/415 if you look around. I'll be honest and say that if I had the money for a savage, I would just go that wee bit extra and get a HW or an annie.

Have fun choosing though :good:

Ps ellebarto,(if you don't mind me asking) why is there a score through your Cz511. I was looking at these online the other day and they look quite nice?

ATB

I'd say CZ. You can get your thumbhole version for about 400/415 if you look around. I'll be honest and say that if I had the money for a savage, I would just go that wee bit extra and get a HW or an annie.

Ps ellebarto,(if you don't mind me asking) why is there a score through your Cz511. I was looking at these online the other day and they look quite nice?

ATB

I see a lot of people on here reviewing guns so I thought if I listed all the guns I had owned and a line through those I'd now sold, people can ask my opinion on them just as you are doing.

Its like I said in this thread above, it was my starter gun. If I'm honest I loved it, it was easy to strip and nice to shoot. As I got better and more experienced I just wanted a better more accurate gun, not that it ever really let me down. The main reason it went was the force of its cartridge ejection. I do a lot of bunny shooting from within the land rover and the cases were picking against the windows and flying all over the place. I went to a bolt action so the whole process was just more controlled. I'd recommend them although be aware they have been discountinued so parts and mags are becoming a bit rare!

I've owned CZ's in .22 and have the Savage .17 Thumbhole now. I've got a nice silver SAK on mine though. I've not seen bad reviews to be honest and mine is pinpoint accurate and just feels far better quality than a CZ with a fantastic trigger setup straight out of the box without having to go piddling around with customizing from day one!

I dont have bad things to say about the CZ exactly, just that its most peoples starter gun and they then go and get something better. They are fine and reliable but need attention from day one to get them right. Unless your unlucky, the Savage will come out of the box on day one feeling and shooting like a premium bit of kit with no tweaking required.

Money aside, if you put each gun in a shooters hands and asked them to pick I'd be very suprised if the build and quality of the Savage didnt win out! Youd have to go and do just that to see what I mean. If your in the Northwest your welcome to come and shoot mine!

Obviously I'm going to be a bit biased but I had the exact choice you had and went with the Savage!

i would love to come and put a few rounds through it but i live in the scottish highlands, about 15-20 hours from you? thankyou for the advise though, problem is i would have to buy a 452 thumbhole without holding it first were as i have held the 93r17 and it felt perfect

ATB

what sort of money am looking at for an annie? i like the look of the ruger 77/17 but i think its around £800

£550 for a new annie. If the savage is around that price I know which one I would go for :good:

MMMMM!!! Unless you have a fantastic contact you wont get a new annie for anywhere near that and if you have your heart set on a thumbhole then you can only get that in .22. I have it, fantastic rifle!

CZ Thumbhole £423 + £33 for a spare mag

Savage Thumbhole £621 + 31 for a spare mag

Anschutz Thumbhole in .22 £847 and £60 for a spare mag

Cheapest 17 HMR annies are £750ish

I'd say that is order of quality and build to be hoenst and you pay for what you get. If you like and can afford the Savage I wouldnt go any futher but then if you had picked the CZ up and liked I'd say the say about that, it just isn't quite as good!

MMMMM!!! Unless you have a fantastic contact you wont get a new annie for anywhere near that and if you have your heart set on a thumbhole then you can only get that in .22. I have it, fantastic rifle!

CZ Thumbhole £423 + £33 for a spare mag

Savage Thumbhole £621 + 31 for a spare mag

Anschutz Thumbhole in .22 £847 and £60 for a spare mag

Cheapest 17 HMR annies are £750ish

I'd say that is order of quality and build to be hoenst and you pay for what you get. If you like and can afford the Savage I wouldnt go any futher but then if you had picked the CZ up and liked I'd say the say about that, it just isn't quite as good!

thats not true mate you can get the annie hmr in thumbhole i no because i had one. i got the rifle at a bargain price of £550 with ammo and boresnake. im lefthanded but perfer a righthanded bolt action. but the thumbhole stock was righthanded so no good to me. i sold the stock to a guy for £100 and had his standard ambi stock in with that deal.

i kept the rifle for a couple of years but decited to sell it. and got a 22lr annie with thumbhole stock for my old man. as i wanted to use the 22lr on my ticket as well and was selling the hmr i swapped the stocks over to kill two birds with one stone. it let me sell my hmr on for more money but also aloud me to use the 22lr as it had a ambi stock.

they all fit the same its only the mag whats different.

the best advise i could say is what ever hmr your going for. get one secondhand. thats where the bargains are to have. rifles are not selling very well at the moment. so if your a buyer. im betting you can get a cracking deal in the secondhand market

Edited by jamie g

As well as being generally confused by your whole mail :good::good: I didnt know that but I dont think thats the latest range. I cant seem to find it anywhere in the Anschutz lists but quite happy with what I have for now!

its the 1517 model mate. 1517 is the hmr and 1417 is the 22lr.

Edited by jamie g

thanks for all the advise. made a few phone calls today and i can get a 452 varmint with laminate stock threaded for a moderator for £375 and they will fit there custom trigger kit for £40. its going to be a work horse and i will feel quite happy to drap the cz through the field where as i would feel scared of sctaching the savage etc