looking for rabbits

i tried on another topic there but got no response so thot id give it a try here, im from northern ireland and am at a loss to find anywhere to ferret. recently got 2 ferrets and want the chance to work them. the land i used to ferret on has no rabbits on it all. not looking for land to actually ferret, just maybe a few helpful pointers as to where would be a good place to look for bunnies in ni. the area i used to ferret was around ballygawley, augher, clogher, but its completely dead there! im from east down and will travel anywhere to get these 2 boyos hunting. they are dead keen!

NOT being funny mate or owt but you need to put sum leg work in ( I.E ) get door knocking every one here is after more land . get in car and go and find bunnys its the only way .

Wat i use to do was drive round diffrent areas with lamp find them then go back in day to ask permission that worked for me and aslo fill your proflie in on PW all the best in your hunt for land ......... SWISS

thanks paddy, but surely you have noticed the rabbits decline around tyrone in recent years? i used to see them sitting up every hedge when i drove down there, but no more. from the new roadworks outside dungannon right out to clogher i didnt see a bunnie anywhere! as little as ten years ago the place was heaving with them. il just have to check out another area i guess

I know what you mean the fields around the house used to be heavin with them. The only real hotspots seem to be near the coast in certain areas, bet you never thought you would be glad to see a Rabbit? They took a beating a few years back with a wave of Myxi and I think they are struggling (especially in Tyrone) to make any real comeback. The Fox population aint helping them any either, the country is comin down with them.

If i see em round the house i leave them alone now in the hope that they breed like rabbits should.

i was always glad to see the rabbits paddy, the more the better. i feel saddened by the way they have been wiped out, and not knowing why. but as you say most farmers wouldnt miss them, but i think the countryside lacks something without them, i put 15 outa one warren in a hotspot we hunted in clogher one time. went to see farm on sat past there and there wasnt a pill or a pad, we walked around for 20 mins and packed it in.

• 2 months later...

Im up ballycastle way, and know of a few goodspots. Try golf courses first. Unfortunately lost all my ferrets when I moved back over here, but got a few more on their way this summer, then will be looking hard, will let you knwo what I find. Allready got a few local farmers lined up. Just need to sort some of the foxes first, thats the problem with all the forestry blocks up here!

Im up ballycastle way, and know of a few goodspots. Try golf courses first. Unfortunately lost all my ferrets when I moved back over here, but got a few more on their way this summer, then will be looking hard, will let you knwo what I find. Allready got a few local farmers lined up. Just need to sort some of the foxes first, thats the problem with all the forestry blocks up here!

Check the date, and the OP is banned.