Training help

spanielboy

Started to run into the problem with my dogs when out they are becoming more interested in sniffin etc where other dogs have been to the toilet rather than paying attention to what im asking them to do.

I do the majority of my training on our own land that there is rarely other dogs on.

My question is - is this simply a matter of lack of exposure to the other smells etc when out training - cured by training in more public areas?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this will help or I will get a torraid of posts saying I am doing the wrong thing, but I had the same problem. When at home I started getting a treat when my lab was not looking and then holding it with one finger on my nose (I can hear the laughter now...) when he is within a couple of feet of me, not too far away. I give one pip on the whistle. From that he looks me in the eyes and knows he may get a treat because he knows it is under my finger. Sometimes when I blow the stop whistle to stop him hunting he will stop, but sniff around. One pip on the whistle makes him look at me and I am back in control. I only use the one pip when he is sniffing.

Thoughts anyone?

Hi Mate

Anything that gets the dog back concentrating is great, even if it means getting the dog to look for a biscuit on your nose (a new one on me!).

I walk mine up a street to get to fields and mine seem to sniff every 10 paces. I just cajole them on, but once they pick up on a 'proper' scent in the fields they are away working - even adjacent to a public footpath were other regular dog walkers go. If you don't have that interesting bird/deer/fox smell for them to pick up on, the best they can find is other dogs toilet areas, so then they get distracted. If I need to, I just give a single pip on the whistle (as Jurrasicway said) to get their attention and send them 'on' again.

I always try train somewhere where I know there is plenty of wildlife, so it really helps to keep them focussed and now I never worry if other dogs have been through there or not. Quality training and stimulation is the key and soon they'll soon realise that working is more fun than sniffing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers :yes:

Paul

to get my dogs to watch me i was told to pop the treat ( cheap chopped up hot dog sauasage from morrisons ) between my teeth , when close up say "watch me" and spit the treat to the dog , hopefully into its open mouth.. the idea is the dog as to catch the treat in its mouth there fore its a more intense and concentrated look .

carry on until eventually the dog will look back at you straight in the eye with out the need for a treat . takes about a week to grasp ..

i have done this with the last 3 dogs and find it works , to help get there attention while close , but also good to get the dog to look back at distance before sending for a retreive or re-directing onto a dummy etc.