new dog

masterblaster

just accuired a lurcher pup 7 weeks old never had 1 b4 hes a greyhound/collie had him of a chap who wanted rid so i thought id give him a good home having just lost my lab. will b using him when ferreting and lamping mainly rabbits but occasionly charlie aswell just inqureing wot is the best age 2 introduce him 2 rabbits

7 weeks in my opinion is a bit young theys hould leave the mother around 8 weeks old.

is the dog a first cross or second generation. As for showing the dog rabbits i wouldnt show it anything until around 10 months maybe tak eit out ferreting and let it mouth the bunnies in the nets from around 9 months but last thing you want to do is start it to early before its finished maturing :D

Get the pup out as soon as you can mate, The more it see,s the more quickly it will adapt, I wouldnt let it run anything till at least 9-10 months old, Maybe a bit later in some dogs.. I have a collie/ grey pup and she is out ferretting all the time.. She has learnt to mark, retrieve etc, and is showing real promise. Good luck with yours mate, Introduce it to your ferrets as soon as you can too, Maybe let it feed out of the same bowl now and then.

Rushy.

first thing is brake the dog to live stock ,get it so it comes back to the call ,give it a run on rabbits now its 9 months no probs ,just give the dog one or two short runs dont let the dog go blowing its lungs ..hold the dog back it will keep it keen which means dont go running your dog on rabbits every day till its some were over 14 months old ,dont give it any long slips or slips were it has no real chances of catching the rabbit ..brake it to ferrets which wont be hard for a lurcher...let it sniff rabbit holes ect, you will get to see and know when its marking a rabbit