Debate

Punt Gun

al4x

Those bouncers are too much, my attention span is weakening

the idea that someone can't take their children shooting and teach them to shoot webber is absolute bulls testicles. Are you in possesion of a firearm without a license if the SGC holder is next to you I would say not. If not its implications the length and breadth of the country on driven days when people often have a friend / wife / girlfriend carry their gun or hold it while they pick up. You can't let people wander off with a gun but under direct supervision and with you holding shooting rights it would be an immense waste of public money to try for a prosecution that would with the Home office guidance document be doomed to failure. as for insurance that only becomes an issue if there is an accident and as we all know you are far better off making sure an accident doesn't happen. There is a simple reason this hasn't been in court and thats because its unenforceable without a definition of occupier being found in law. With home office guidance being that it includes people with shooting rights then its hardly likely to go against that

Bill Harriman of BASC has written an article on this subject in this weeks Shooting Times.

The basic thrust is that this is an absolute offence, and therefore must be prosecuted.#

I think the ST article relates to a different scenario. i.e. it relates to the scenario where someone is in possession of firearms without a certificate (e.g. the certificate is away for renewal).

What is being discussed here is the borrowing of a firearm from the licensed owner, but as usual the whole topic gets confused with the usual information/mis-information.

Added to that was the difficulty that the OP had slightly different scenarios in that one was illegal - if someone loses their FAC or SGC then they can not use guns again, anywhere or with anyone.

Edit: By loses I mean has their cert. revoked

Edited by Piebob

He voluntarily handed his licence in, which he will apply for again in the near future, and shouldn't have any problem in getting it back, but until then he has the shooting rights and I am a member of his syndicate, it was fine for him to take myself out without a licence, but is it ok the other way round, I take him out on the land that he has the rights too?

And thanks for the feedback, but it seems to be a grey area, where it would depend on how reasonable your fire arms officer is. He is mentally stable and not a threat to himself or others, just suffered from depression for a small period due to some personal problems and done the sensible and responsible action.

Debate:- Say he lost his licence or voluntarily gave it up

the op would have to clarify the above before it could be debated.

Why has he lost it/give it up.

He voluntarily handed his licence in, which he will apply for again in the near future, and shouldn't have any problem in getting it back, but until then he has the shooting rights and I am a member of his syndicate, it was fine for him to take myself out without a licence, but is it ok the other way round, I take him out on the land that he has the rights too?

NO, nothing grey about that, you are not the landowner and neither is your pal, so he cannot confer "occupier" rights on you, and he cannot give you one of his guns to use as he has no FAC/SGC anymore!

So what is the score with everyone else in this syndicate, are they "joint" occupiers?