nobivac myxo

Hmmmm :good:

If you are talking about wild rabbits I think you are about to step in to a Legal minefield and would leave well alone.

I would be very surprised if you could obtain it legally. I would expect only a MRCVS could administer it and it won't protect rabbits against VRHD which seems to be wiping them out faster than snow goes off a dyke anyway.

Rabbit populations naturally develop an immunity to Myxomatosis after an outbreak and a proportion survive each attack. The does which survive carry an immunity as do their young. This immunity becomes diluted over a few generations as it passes down and these rabbits interbreed with non-immune rabbits until the virus can once again develop in to a full blown outbreak and the cycle begins again.

Exactly the same thing would happen with artificially immunised rabbits which have been injected with the vaccine.

Probably not worth the grief, risk and expense.

I've heard some barking ideas on here and this is up with the best of them, simply put I doubt its a good idea as you would have no idea whether vaccinated rabbits were entering the food chain and whether there is a meat withdrawl period with the vaccine. Also how exactly were you thinking of catching all your rabbits?

• 2 weeks later...

mate if you are willing to pay 20 quid per rabbit to be vaccinated. especially wild rabbit which breed like wild fire you have either more money then sense or a stupid amount of time on your hands to go out and catch them.

if i were you i would go out with a air rifle a lamp and control any infected ones with a pellet. me grandad was a gamekeeper and he used to sell rabbit shooting and i am good friends with gamekeepers and if they could read what you are saying about doing they would all tell you shoot the infected ones and keep checking your land out for any infected.

seriosly mate dont waste your time and money catching and vaccinating them just disapatch the ill.

take evryones advice mate. it aint worth doing what your on about.

you might be only trying to help prevent mixy on your land but you will do more harm then good. you will stress the rabbits out big time. and ther could be a chance they could suffer side affects and possable a heart attach due to the stress.

the decission is yours but honestly i would leave them and dispatch them humanly. hope you take this advice and that of the other members.