Pigeon Rotary and Decoys

firebrand

This may be to some a daft question but when setting out your decoy pattern is there a 'better' place for the Rotary in relation to your 'static' decoys?

I have always put the Rotary downwind of my static decoy pattern but is that the correct place for it? (My thinking being the birds that are attracted will come in from downwind to land)

Any advice please? (Thanks)

There is no best place as such.

Depends on where the birds are comming in from, wind direction, ground layout etc etc

I have found that the magnet does its job better when its away from the pattern, where the birds can see it and where they dont have to fly over it to get to the decoys.

On the flip side, some days it doest matter where you put it, the birds will not come in.

Its just a case of reading the birds reactions and adjusting things as and when :good:

Edited by chrispti

This may be to some a daft question but when setting out your decoy pattern is there a 'better' place for the Rotary in relation to your 'static' decoys?

I have always put the Rotary downwind of my static decoy pattern but is that the correct place for it? (My thinking being the birds that are attracted will come in from downwind to land)

Any advice please?

As some of the guys have said it can change from day to day, I have the rotary off to one side at least 25 yards, with the decoys out in the 35/40 yard range, in two long large groups and I leave a couple of gaps in the pattern, I have a copy of jacks game and have listened to what Archie Coats spoke about and modified it, as best I can.

One thing is that pigeons close very quickly and if you wait to long your shot pattern will not work for you, so this is why have the rotary out at least 25yds.

It is trial and error and quite often error! However, you must stick with it!

Good luck

TEH

Thank you.

It seems that from your experiences my distance to decoys and to the rotary are ok however I think I'll move the rotary to somewhere more at the head of my pattern and try that.

I totally understand that it is trial and error but Ive always believed if you can learn from other peoples experience then why not use it?

Im trying to refine my shooting,I want to get much better at decoying as I feel this is where Im losing out.

Too many birds dont come into my pattern or they vere off so I know Im missing 'a trick' somewhere.(Im sure my hide is ok-no flashes etc from my rotary)

My biggest problem I feel is that there is so much food around here that its too easy for them to move onto some other crop after a couple of shots.