Has anyone shot Starlings under Licence?

Oly

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of applying for, and obtaining, a licence from NE for shooting Starlings in the last year or so that they haven't been on the General Licence? A few of my farmers are having issues and I'm looking at applying asap. Also, what sort of restrictions (time limit, numbers etc) were applied?

Cheers,

Oly

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of applying for, and obtaining, a licence from NE for shooting Starlings in the last year or so that they haven't been on the General Licence? A few of my farmers are having issues and I'm looking at applying asap. Also, what sort of restrictions (time limit, numbers etc) were applied?

Cheers,

Oly

They are on the welsh general licence , if you have tried everything else e.g. gas gun etc and they are contaminating cattle feed you can shoot them.

We're in England. As such fully protected and requires a licence to shoot them.

I have just looked up the English licence , seems stupid to me that Starlings are not on there maybe that will change when the new licence comes out on the 1st of january,

i shoot only 4 miles inside the Welsh English border and spent a day last week on Starlings , a huge flock messing up the cattle feed in the sheds completely ignoring the gas gun and bird scarers , shot a few but they pretty much ignore you ,so dont have much effect really.

They were taken off the general licence because their numbers have crashed in the last 20 years. I used to have several pairs breed in my roof and always 100s in my garden winter or summer.Alas they are fast becomming an uncommon sight apart from a couple of weeks during the migration period. Up on th Nofolk coast we used to have about 2 months when tens of thousands could be seen most days as flock after flock migrated west. These days the migration is over in a couple of weeks and I am lucky to see more than a few hundred.If you are having trouble with them fireworks are the most effective way of moving them on , but it can take several days.

Edited by anser2

Up on th Nofolk coast we used to have about 2 months when tens of thousands could be seen most days as flock after flock migrated west. These days the migration is over in a couple of weeks and I am lucky to see more than a few hundred.

We never saw much of them previously, but the last couple of years they have increased loads. Changing weather patterns...Will suggest the fireworks too. Thanks