My hung Pheasants

yankeedoodlepigeon

Hi. I was out Beating last Monday and took some home and had them hanging in the shed since. I don't normally do this just prepare them right away.

They were hung as shot so not been gutted or anything done to them at all.

I don't know if that was the right thing to do as i just skinned one to cook and turns out it was shot in the guts and around this area the flesh has turned to mush and smells a bit.

Is that still ok to eat or has it been spoiled as the breast seems ok.

Ta Lea

Hanging for a week (or longer) is fine with the weather we've had recently, it's normal to hang them without gutting. If the weather turns very mild you might need to reduce the time to a couple of days.

They do smell a bit when gutting them, but is it a gamey entrails type smell (hard to describe) or a rotten meat smell? The former is normal, the latter is a bit suspect. When you say "turned to mush" is it just badly bruised or shot up, or actually going off? Either way, if you've plucked and gutted it just trim away any meat which is badly bruised or tainted and it'll be fine.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Hi. I was out Beating last Monday and took some home and had them hanging in the shed since. I don't normally do this just prepare them right away.

They were hung as shot so not been gutted or anything done to them at all.

I don't know if that was the right thing to do as i just skinned one to cook and turns out it was shot in the guts and around this area the flesh has turned to mush and smells a bit.

Is that still ok to eat or has it been spoiled as the breast seems ok.

Ta Lea

as already said above m8 ... remove the meat thats damaged/tainted and should be fine ... or if the smells just put u off then de-breast it and just use the breast

Don't worry, I have just done half a dozen (pie time) that had been hanging since 15.12.10 at a constant 7 degrees in an ex Thresher's fridge in the shed.

They go pongy but gamey pongy (not rancid). The flesh goes "fall apart" tender and they get a cracking flavour for pies.

I just breast them, slice them into strips (goujons if you prefer, what what what), caserole and then pie up.