Charging Question?!

reedbradshaw

Hello all.

I have been given an in test divers bottle, its 9ltrs and says 'for breathing pressure use 207bar' but underneath that it says 'max pressure 270bar' does this mean it could fill it up to 254 bar but the tested pressure is 207bar. Obviously i am not taking chances with compressed air and could get the bottle tested again to 254 bar if this is the case (and if it makes sense economically)

From using chair guns 'FillCalc' it says i will get 29 full fills of my rifle at 2500psi (the recommended pressure for the rifle) from my bottle at 207bar. Does this sound about right?

I know a lot of you will say get a 300bar bottle as you will get far many more fills but the guy who has given me this bottle can fill it up for free so refills for the bottle are not a problem at all.

All it needs is a din type fitting complete with guage, bleed valve and hose. I have seen these for around about £55, is this a good price or can they be found cheaper anywhere else?

Thanks lads

I always just use to take my bottle down the local dive center and ask them to fill it up. If you person you got the bottle can fill it for you, just leave him to worry about the pressures. Not sure about the number of refills because i always topped my rifle up after shooting. That price sounds about right for a gauge and hose.

Hello all.

I have been given an in test divers bottle, its 9ltrs and says 'for breathing pressure use 207bar' but underneath that it says 'max pressure 270bar' does this mean it could fill it up to 254 bar but the tested pressure is 207bar. Obviously i am not taking chances with compressed air and could get the bottle tested again to 254 bar if this is the case (and if it makes sense economically)

From using chair guns 'FillCalc' it says i will get 29 full fills of my rifle at 2500psi (the recommended pressure for the rifle) from my bottle at 207bar. Does this sound about right?

I know a lot of you will say get a 300bar bottle as you will get far many more fills but the guy who has given me this bottle can fill it up for free so refills for the bottle are not a problem at all.

All it needs is a din type fitting complete with guage, bleed valve and hose. I have seen these for around about £55, is this a good price or can they be found cheaper anywhere else?

Thanks lads

Hi

If you took this cylinder to a dive shop and the cylinder is stamped 207 bar that is what they will fill it to :)

I have just calculated fills from a 9ltr 207bar cylinder for my Air Arms S200 filling from 80bar to 180bar and I will get 15 fills :(

Also I think I am writ in saying that a dive cylinder with a din fitting are tested every 2.5yrs from the date on the bottle?

I would always say not to go past the recommended pressure of a gun, but I can assure you that if the gun is 207 BAR, it would easily handle 500+BAR and explode at somewhere around 800BAR.

They don't make limits which are right on the cusp of the point it will fail

Edited by Billy.

Hello all.

Thanks lads

207 Bar is the working pressure of the tank and should only be filled to that.

You can only fill to minus of that figure each time you decant out of it! Depending on what the WP of your gun is, and when the performance of the gun is starting to affect the distance shots, this is when you will need to re charge it. However, it will not take that many decants to reduce the top end pressure of your dive tank. Then you will be starting with a lower pressure each time.

By having a 300 Bar tank it will take a lot longer for the top end pressure to diminish thus each time you decant you will have a gun filled to the max. There are drawbacks in the 300 Bar, as you have to find a source to fill to that pressure, I worked in a dive shop and tested tanks for a long time so I understand the air gunners dilemma.

I have seen lots of shops stripe up the air gunners, but high-pressure air is hard to make and store.

What you get from a dive shop is breathing quality air.

In addition, you must be carful when you decant in to your gun, as it will be around the 207 bar mark. And 300 will go in to 207 quite easily. And go BANG with your seals.

It just depends on what type of shooting you are doing and what type of gun you have along with your budget.

TEH