Which chainsaw to buy?

rob4586

Well my take on it is this...

It could well be running slightly rich? I was told by a mate that this is good for new saws, just a little more lube for the running in period?

Stihl are easier to look after I think. No greasing the clutch bearings, bar nose sprocket etc. They also seem to plod along a lot better and aren't too fussy. Down side is they weigh a little more than the Husky alternative.

The Husky is like a F1 car. Get it running on song and they're lovely saws. Hugely powerful for their weight and very revvy. But get the slightest sign of muck in it or not be very thorough with the servicing and that's it - it aint gonna go!

Yup, I have a slightly higher ratio of oil currently while running it in. It just seems to lack power, tomorrow i'll change the two stroke mix for more petrol per unit 2 stroke.

It still cuts through 18 inches of oak but just grumbles more than it should.

Rob.

Just curious, what mix do you chaps run your saws on??

Im running 50:1 like stihl say but is there a better mix to be had?

This is what I run on all other saws and they love it, currently 33:1 on the new saw and 25:1 on the first run.

Rob

Edited by rob4586

To be honest I didn't run mine on anything other than 50:1 and it's always been perfect, I only ever heard of running 33:1 if you suspect the quality of 2 stroke oil. 25:1 is really really rich!!!

Yeah, I often use motorbike 2 stroke and i'm not sure about how good it is. I'm still used to changing the mixture dependent upon whether it's summer or winter :P

I like to give my saws a nice gentle break in and then hammer them! :D

Yeah, I often use motorbike 2 stroke and i'm not sure about how good it is. I'm still used to changing the mixture dependent upon whether it's summer or winter :P

I like to give my saws a nice gentle break in and then hammer them! :D

I think there may be your problem, it's a heat thing, if I remember rightly (I'm on my 5th pint of home brew here!) motorbike 2 stroke is generally designed to run with water cooled engines, the amount of 2 stroke oil also makes a big difference to the temperature in the combustion chamber, but I can't for the life of me remember which way round is which :blush: .

Over The Hill also made a really good point that I hadn't considered before with the super unleaded, good point that. :good:

Get yourself some good oil designed for forestry/landscape type equipment, mix it 50:1 and go for it!

hi rob i have been a forrester now for almost 18yrs and wouldnt use owt else but stihl or husky you wont go wrong with either one although i do tend to prefer husky to stihl for the balance and manouverability although i will use both.i dont no what you intend to use it for rob if its just for garden use or small scale cutting of logs for a fire but theres some good semi pro machines knockin about now.and also if you have bought a saw from new then start as you mean to go on and use a good 2 stroke no cheap rubbish it will pay dividends in the long run try a stihl 2 stroke oil its more expensive but well worth it mate.

cheers paddy.

hi rob i have been a forrester now for almost 18yrs and wouldnt use owt else but stihl or husky you wont go wrong with either one although i do tend to prefer husky to stihl for the balance and manouverability although i will use both.i dont no what you intend to use it for rob if its just for garden use or small scale cutting of logs for a fire but theres some good semi pro machines knockin about now.and also if you have bought a saw from new then start as you mean to go on and use a good 2 stroke no cheap rubbish it will pay dividends in the long run try a stihl 2 stroke oil its more expensive but well worth it mate.

cheers paddy.

Hi Paddy,

It's for the occasional use on 25 acres of woodland that I manage. I have in the end bought the Husky 450e, felled a large willow at 70ft today and it handled it no problems at all; Now i've tuned it and got the mix right.

I believe the 450 is listed as a semi-pro saw but it certainly cuts like a beauty.

Rob.

I'm with Paddy on that one - use good quality oil. For the time it takes to use a litre of it who cares what it costs? No point in being tight with something you hardly ever need to buy!

I use two oils in my kit. Either Stihl or Rock Oil, which is the oil Husqvarna label up (or at least it was when my mate worked for the distributors).

Yup definately don't skimp on the 2 stroke oil, or the cutter bar oil for that matter, for the price we pay for the saws in the first place, what's a few more quid on the right oil. I use Stihl oil as it's the best I can get locally, money well spent in my opinion. Also use use the 2 stroke oil in my brushcutter and hedgetrimmer, never had a problem so far.

Didn't know Rock oil is the stuff Husky rebrand, cheers for that, I'm pretty sure I can get that locally too!

Edited by Ian750