Anyone running a ranger on veg oil

johnny

I have had a lifetime in the business of distributing truck parts for Bosch amongst others so do have a bit of knowledge here.

Most modern diesel engines have what are called common rail diesel injection systems, that is a small fuel pump on the end of each injector instead of a single big fuel pump distributing fuel to all cylinders. These injectors need the lubrication present in diesel fuel (but not as far as I am aware cooking oil) in order to continue to perform correctly. Older diesel engines such as in Disco 200, pre 94 ish Defenders etc have the big single pump and should run fine on a chip oil mix but common rails will soon fail. Cost of replacement common rail injectors was around £300 trade EACH plus VAT when I was involved.

Bosch will not warrant any of their equipment if used with fuels other than those in the handbook, ie diesel of some sort or another. Loose a set of injectors and you could be looking at a 2K bill by the time you add labour. Injectors on my TD5s are Delco Remy from memory, they may have a different take on things.

What would be an interesting ask here and on the 4x4 sites is: Has anyone here run a common rail diesel engine for over 100,000 miles successfully on a cooking oil/diesel fuel mix?, if so please post details of engine and fuel mix used.

A

Edited by Alycidon

I used to put i x 3 litre veg oil to every 10 pounds of diesel i filled up with, not as cheep as all oil but it worked for me. The mpg went up and i don't think it done any damage as the lubrication was still coming from the diesel.

Used bio and it was fine (better mpg) but a pain to get hold of as the firm was a fair treck away and had a habit of being closed when you got there.

Edited by hambone