hide poles

fuzzypigeon

well as ive got a bit of spare time at work i thought id make some sturdy hide poles, fully adjustable with kick plates... anyone made any before?? did you encounter any issues?? i going to use 3/4" pipe which i will turn down on the lathe to reduce the weight (at a length of 4 ft) then making some kick plates for them out of hex stock (30mm) which will be turned on the lathe and milled, then using 1/4" pipe at a length of 18-20" havent decided yet again turned down to fit inside the 3/4" pipe and to reduce weight along with solid ground spikes that will be made from 30mm round bar with a spike length of 8" with a very shallow taper. i will put pictures up when complete might take me a while as i have to do a little bit between any jobs i do have

I made something similar using plastic bean poles (5' long) slipped inside 4'6" lengths of 15mm copper tube with a cap soldered to one end. Cross drilled the bean poles at 6" intervals and slipped an 'R' clip through to set the heights.Reasonably cheap, not massively heavy, and really easy to make.

Same here went to Wilkinsons and brought their props, just turned up some spikes on the lathe and welded them on, also welded a kick plate to each one.

They are light weight, fully adjustable and its a lot less hassle than turning down pipe.

Seb

• 1 month later...

I use the standard two piece metal clothes prop with nylon lock screws sold on my local market for £2.50 each. To hold them in the ground I use individual Coarse Fishermens Unbrella Holders at £2.75 or so each, See :- http://www.justfish.co.uk/cgi-bin/fishing/products.pl?bl1=Fladen&bl2=Miscellaneous&bl3=

These have a hollow socket at one end and twin pointed spikes on the other. It's an easy excercise to push the spikes into the ground and put the clothes pole into the socket, and lock them into place Simples, and only half the price of the spiked poles sold by many agencies. £20.00 or £21.00 is a lot cheaper than £49.99 plus Vat and postage. For the difference you can get a lot of ex MoD cammo netting, so for an expenditure of £50.00 you can have both the supports, the spikes and the camo cover.

As a Pensioner I have to watch what I spend, and as a wartime child I'm used to make do and mend. They still work as well as the more expensive types, and in these days of financial austerity, pennies count.

Harry.

Edited by Rifleman01

Oops,

Sorry guys. 'Justfish' have discontinued these Brolly Spikes, however they are available from many other fishing tackle suppliers at between £3.99 and £4.99 each. The 6.75" long twin spikes go into the ground far easier than one single tapered spike. They are handy to use and a single lock screw holds your hide pole tightly.

A picture is attached.

Harry

post-30137-0-60357400-1299675967.jpg

Edited by Rifleman01