shooting over bare fields

spannermonkeymark

About 35 years ago I was parked in a gateway watching a large flock of pigeons feeding on beet tops the farm was near Penkridge Staffordshire, it was there I met I guy called Jeff Kirk little did I know at the time but Jeff was a professional pigeon shooter as was his father also called Jeff Kirk, to cut a long story short we ended up being good friends and shot together on a number of occasions.

I can remember one thing he said to me and that was although he had shot thousands of pigeons over the years no one really knows what pigeons are thinking or what they are likely to-do.

As I got older and wiser I learnt what he meant by this, and that was you could setup on the same field with birds flying over it for one or two days and not pull a single bird but then bingo for some unknown reason you setup on the same field, on the same flight line, and with the same decoy pattern and you cannot shot them fast enough.

The only thing you can do is try it and see.

The one thing I would say is I always got the best results with a small pattern of eight or nine dead birds.