London Low Emission Zone

ajb403

I have just found out the details about the low emission zone they're introducing to most of greater London, there's a map of the area affected here:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17678.aspx#tkt-tab-panel-2'>http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/17678.aspx#tkt-tab-panel-2

According to their website 4X4s and pickups may be affected if registered before 1 Jan 2002, family cars and motorbikes are exempt from it. I was expecting the daily charge to be similar to that of the congestion charge, but no...£100 a day. No exceptions, it applies all day, every day. If you drove one of the affected vehicles into the outskirts of London just before midnight and left again just after midnight that's 2 days use according to their rules and would be £200 in charges!

Maybe i'm just cynical but I can't help but think that motorists are being treated as a cash cow again. If they're serious about getting people to lower vehicle emissions why are they not promoting affordable and reliable public transport for everybody rather than heavily charging those that they see as the worst offender? The emissions from larger older vehicles may be larger than average but I suspect the majority of the total emissions within the low emission zone don't come from these vehicles, the number of 'family cars' in that area greatly outnumbers the types of vehicle that will be affected, but these vehicles will be exempt from the charges...

More information on it here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/

It makes no sense to me. Any thoughts?

Ashley

Edited by ajb403

makes perfect sense, why let the worst emitting comercial vehicles pollute the centre of London? do you want a return to smog etc by pricing it that high most vehicles will stay away. In reality it will stop mostly old lorries and transits etc and to keep air quality in the centre safe it is needed

makes perfect sense, why let the worst emitting comercial vehicles pollute the centre of London? do you want a return to smog etc by pricing it that high most vehicles will stay away. In reality it will stop mostly old lorries and transits etc and to keep air quality in the centre safe it is needed

I think you may have missed the point I was trying to get across - for every one highly polluting vehicle in London there are numerous other vehicles that although individually they pollute less, due to sheer numbers, collectively they must be responsible for the majority of the pollution? Just think how many cars you see in London for every one HGV/transit/4X4 running around.

realistically it started in 2008 so not much new with it really, the whole point is they do pollute a lot more than the newer vehicles so is there a place for them on londons roads when they are trying to improve air quality. Simple answer is no and it does benefit everyone that lives and works there, some of the worst culprits used to be scaffolding lorries and the likes that did limited mileages so lasted for ever. Its certainly a nicer place to be than even 10 years ago