Game rearing sheds

Hello all,

I shall be rearing all my birds this season from day olds and have previous experience with 8x8 and 12x12 sheds, however my boss is keen to buy a shed that will last longer than these ply sheds. Ive seen sedgemoor game farms produce sheds which are surrounded with metal sheets. What are peoples views/experiences with these, if any? My worry is that they will heat up so much that they will cook the birds.

Many thanks

Alex

I am not 100% certain but I think the Sedgemoor sheds are insulated and lined,sides, roof and all, a lot of sheds are insualted these days and save a fortune in gas and gives a more stable temperature.

We had corrugated tin sheds on one estate where I was employed as a beatkeeper. Hideously bad idea. Hot as hell by day and freezing at night (isn't it the film Bridge over the River Kwai where the POW punishment is 2 days in a tin hut?) and noisy as hell when it rained.

like he said i would not use tin at all if i could i do like 8by8 wooden sheds they are harder work to set up but are the best with the sa8 heaters they keep a nice even temp too we found 12by12 too bid and with a tin roof the temp dropped away too fast at night you had to be their for 2 hours waiting for it then hurn up the heaters! when you have 40,000 birds its kinda hard

I've got both. 12 x 12 sheds and the early timber insulated segdemoor. Segdemoor is good but timber is better. I can put 2000 partridge through the sedgemoor or 1800 pheasants but the night shelter that comes with it is ****. The timber sheds I use are better have wider doors and are taller and were obviously keeper designed. Much better for working in particularly bitting. That said the birds we have had through the segdemoor were great. I had a look at the metal one at a gamefair. In my opinion you can't cool them quick enough when the weather gets warm plus we had to fit our own wire doors to leave the outer door open and the frames are not wide enough to get a poult crate through flat. I told the owner this. They are good but there are better out there for your money.

Hi Alex, i find if you can take down the ply huts and store them they last a bit longer. What also helps is if you put some wood on the bottom of the hut so the ply isn’t in contact with the ground obviously a paint with creosote or similar is beneficial.

The trouble is huts are made to a price to be competitive, they ply they use doesn’t seem that great to me. The best huts are the ones you make yourself, I was thinking of making some based on the standard 12x12 but with shiplap clad outside and osb on the inside. The idea being I could staple plastic sheet to it each year so it was clean. I haven’t found insulation that important, only really the roof that would benefit.

Most people I have talked to rate the larger pukka huts over the sedgemore ones, the finish was better and the doors wider.

Can only find pukkapens and sedgemoor who deal with pheasant rearing pens on the internet. Im very tempted to just go with four 12x12 sheds from pukka pens for my 3000 birds, dont want to cram them up if I dont have too. Ill try and get a few quotes today.

Cheers for advice,

Alex

thats a good way to do it we ran 1000 in the 12 by 12 last year and i feel thats close to the wire i would like 700,800 in one but the boss has to make money eh! oh and for christ sake get proper big heaters for them,, we had hell last year,with ours,you se my boss is like most estate owners dosent want to spend money. so he said jus put 2 small heaters in one big shed. the thing is put them both together and the heat circle isnt wide enugh for 1000 birds and 2 apart isnt hot enugh for them eather. just a word of warning

good luck

• 4 weeks later...