Wind break hide

2bangs

With the strong winds and rain we have been getting of late, I got to thinking that sitting in a draughty wet hide isn't as much fun as it sounds, it was in said hide that I thought about dyeing one of my old camping wind breaks and cutting it down a bit to use as a front for the hide, still use the netting for above the windbreak for visibility, anyone ever done this and was it a success ?

Strong wind is the only major problem , might act like a sail and need real good ground fixings but in theory i cant see any other problem. I use 2 lightweight nets an inner one called curtain mesh and an outer realtree leaf net, same as you intend , outer net at normal height inner net lower, not draught prof but helps a little but its more as I prefer my hide made up.

With the strong winds and rain we have been getting of late, I got to thinking that sitting in a draughty wet hide isn't as much fun as it sounds, it was in said hide that I thought about dyeing one of my old camping wind breaks and cutting it down a bit to use as a front for the hide, still use the netting for above the windbreak for visibility, anyone ever done this and was it a success ?

i use two cammo tarporlins on my hide, and a load of clips to hold it to the poles, makes hell of a differance keeping the wind and rain off,it has often been said, that at times we would be better of selling burgers and hotdogs than shooting pigeons from it,never had a problem with the pigeond vering off, i also cover the hide with 3 very big cammo nets,on the odd acasion, we have had to secure to the back ground hedge using bungees, to stop it blowing away :good:Tarpaulins To Go

is were we got them from,but i am told you can get them from toolmart aswell.

Edited by mr benelli

I have tried a solid windbreak in the open (also gave a bit of back cover) and it is very difficult to stand up in high winds, as it does take the full force.

Its quite surprising how much wind finds its way through nets, it can make you colder, but it reduces the strain on the nets.

I decided that when I was cold from the wind, I just wear more or warmer clothes.

I would agree with Cranfield here, wear warmer clothes because there are no poles strong enough to withstand strong winds gusting on a solid hide made of a wind break material or tarporlin.

If you are set on using a windbreak then I would advise you use a "V" shaped hide pointing into the wind to deflect the wind around the hide; So if the wind was say blowing into your face, I would either use 3 or 5 poles with the point in front of you if that makes sense.

I would agree with Cranfield here, wear warmer clothes because there are no poles strong enough to withstand strong winds gusting on a solid hide made of a wind break material or tarporlin.

If you are set on using a windbreak then I would advise you use a "V" shaped hide pointing into the wind to deflect the wind around the hide; So if the wind was say blowing into your face, I would either use 3 or 5 poles with the point in front of you if that makes sense.

I always set my net hide with a "v" shape at the front anyway. I read somewhere it conceals you better I think it was in John Bateley's book.

I always set my net hide with a "v" shape at the front anyway. I read somewhere it conceals you better I think it was in John Bateley's book.

Yep i use that hide design sometimes with the semi auto as it needs less space to re load. Quite often use it with a brolly hide in iffy weather but if I remember right john batley used it because birds comming head on to a pattern the shape of the hide was more difficult for birds to see any movement through, I think you are right seem to remember john batley mentioning it in a book or vid.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks folks, going to give it a try with it pointing in to the wind, that makes sense. :good:

Not sure about the idea of it being better for disguising your movement though, there's not that many birds come straight at me when I'm sat in the hide. :/