Opinions on Artichokes

its pretty much all we have hear and ime not a big fan of them, they grow too tall snd pangley and can be very wet in the rain ive known poults get lost and die in them! allso half way thrue winter or earlyer if it rains or snows a lot they die and flatten down and are next to useless. i think their ok in a mixed crop if you can controle their growth they can do and will sped like hell

We have used artichokes for around 20 years, usually on heavy soils in difficult to get at places. First couple of years they are reasonable but then get to dense and birds wont hold or flush from them. Three years ago we started to plant Chickory, far far better, lasts 4 or 5 years, holds birds well and they flush well from it. If you want you can come and see some of my plots.

If you want to buy an artichoke planter I have one that fits on the back of a cat 1 hydraulics tractor, ie small ones. Could load it onto a minimum 8ft x 5 ft flat trailer. You are not far away,

A

Edited by Alycidon