Are you a mature student?

henry d

If someone wants to be a mature student and pay for the degree course then fair do's. It's your life and your money so go for it.

However, say at 51 you decide to do a 4 year degree course. That takes you to 55. Whatever course you complete you will be at the starting rung (bottom) of your chosen career. If you wanted to become a solicitor for example you would then have to do a LPC course +1 year (that takes you to 56), then 2 years article (that takes you to 58) and then you would be qualified. A newly qualified solicitor at 58/59 won't get a job. So, why bother?

I have been on a course that was stuffed full of mature students who were bored housewives. There really was no point. Most dropped out by the last year.

All resource is finite and there is no such thing as a free lunch. A place taken by a mature student means 1 less place available.

Go for it!! As long as the course is something your involved in Professionally or love as an interest ( say history ) then you will have motivation to get stuck in.

I think I found the hardest thing adapting to academic writing, I write professionally with work but Harvard referencing, and academic writing troubled me quite a bit.

There are some great books out there for academic writing plus online guides to give you a flavour.

I want to do a course purely for my own gain.

Unlike all school/college leaver students, I've already paid enough in over 30 years worth of tax n insurance to cover my tuition costs! As to get a job at the end of it...why be different than the other 20% of graduates who are out of work, with top grade qualifications that are worthless! :o

If someone wants to be a mature student and pay for the degree course then fair do's. It's your life and your money so go for it.

However, say at 51 you decide to do a 4 year degree course. That takes you to 55. Whatever course you complete you will be at the starting rung (bottom) of your chosen career. If you wanted to become a solicitor for example you would then have to do a LPC course +1 year (that takes you to 56), then 2 years article (that takes you to 58) and then you would be qualified. A newly qualified solicitor at 58/59 won't get a job. So, why bother?

I have been on a course that was stuffed full of mature students who were bored housewives. There really was no point. Most dropped out by the last year.

All resource is finite and there is no such thing as a free lunch. A place taken by a mature student means 1 less place available.

Thanks for that too, much of it has occurred to me and if I do go for it I intend to place all my cards on the table at the interview.