suspected lungworm

kent

Earlier in the week i took my GWP to the vet as he was vomiting clear mucus full of what looked like blood that had settled in lung tissue. It sounds realy serious but the thing is you couldn't see outwardly that anything was wrong i was even in two minds about taking him he just seemed so well. Anyway although he is not coughing the vet suspected lungworm as we live on a sheep farm and he has been working on foxes a lot as of late. The treatment is a rather pricey wormer for which i have to give him 18mil once a day for 7 days. The vomiting has stopped within 24hrs and as is usuall when ever i worm him i get runny stools splattered all over the kennel the next day, but this has now stopped. Other than becoming a little stroppy verging on the outright aggresive with me which is out of the ordinary which suggests he is in some discomfort there are no other symtoms and like i say the vomiting blood has stopped very soon after the first treatment.

Will post again when we have the full outcome of this but if it is lungworm as suspected beware of the lack of symtoms as the dog as i say seems 100% fit other than the bleeding and the act of treatment has certainly stopped that thus far

I take it he came from stock tested for VWD? Its unlikely but could fit symptom wise, if they are working foxes etc Advocate or stronghold monthly and drontal plus 3 monthly stops most things,

Actually no the Dam was tested for nothing, only a few tested for VWD when he was bred- will look at VWD symtoms again. Just looked it up Doesn't seem to fit he has had quite a few little accidents with wire, cut pads etc etc and have never had any excess bleeding previously that i can recall and his joints are all very fine never had an issue there either.

Edited by kent

Its unlikely but bleeding from mucous membranes is a symptom, if you have the pedigree you can check and there is a chance they have been tested since if both are clear yours will be.

yes i will keep it in mind, he will never be used for breeding though as the pups would be just too much for most and completely unsuited to pet homes. The wormer is called Panacur and is lungworm specific as well as doing the normal ones but get this £50 a pop though Otto is 80lb admitedly so he needed a fair bit (no fat, not lanky pure muscle and bone)

suprised your vet did,nt prescribe advocate , is'nt that a one off treatment thats superseeds panacur

Some believe that the Panacur may be a more gentle means of killing the worms rather than the Advocate. This may give less immune reaction so most people do use Panacur to treat. Advocate applied monthly is effective prevention. Stronghold has no licensed claim for lungworm although the active ingredient should kill it.

Some believe that the Panacur may be a more gentle means of killing the worms rather than the Advocate. This may give less immune reaction so most people do use Panacur to treat. Advocate applied monthly is effective prevention. Stronghold has no licensed claim for lungworm although the active ingredient should kill it.

thanks apache :good: thats useful to know

cheers

Update dog now seems fine, we had very little if any coughing through the whole treatment period or previous and he didn't seem to lack stamina. Looks like it was lungworm though as his coat has taken on a fair old shine again (though that might be just the summer coat starting) and he seems far more bouncy (mm, not sure i like that bit as much).