Pigeons galore.

Jim Sarakun

Did a night shift last night and got home at 06.00. today, Saturday. Now I can't go straight to bed after a day's work, or night as the case may be, so chill with a drink and watch a movie first. I got up at 14.00 and phoned my mate who was on the recently drilled beans.

So you have presumably looked out the window and surmised what a beautiful sunny day it is. Coupled with a wing lifting breeze, nothing too lairy, you would say it was a good day for Pigeon shooting would you not? I would.

Well the phone call that left my phone not long after 14.00 was fret with how today was the day. The fudgepackingsquirt, (that's a term of endearment) was up to 127, the first time any of the Pigeon shooters have shot over 30 since early December, and I had a night shift, a late finish, so missed it.

We knew it would only be a matter of time, and with the drilling's, that time was not far off, and I missed it, blast! I missed it, it hasn't sunk in yet, blooming work, gets in the way of life...

So sloppy seconds for me tomorrow. I'm wondering now what the final tally for today will be, I will know by 19.00ish, and experience has taught me that the same field the next day, will produce half of what was shot the day previous, usually.

So back to the washing up, then I had better sort the gear for tomorrow...

Spring has sprung, and hopefully now, bags will start to pick up, down this way anyway.

Today was the first reasonable kind of day for a while, and a dent was finally made in one of the huge flocks we have down this way, though unfortunately I could not partake.

The final count was 192 picked up.

It's been a long time coming, though quite normal and the guns are upbeat and anxious to get results again.

Usually the first good day of the year signifies the beginning of the end of "didn't even have a shot", and, "they just wouldn't decoy" phrases we all tire from.

Good luck to you all in the coming months.