help for a begginner

jmilam

Alright lads,iv just sent of my form for my sgc,im mainly going to be pigeon and corvid shooting.

Ive already got the permission which ive held for some years which ive been controlling the vermin and pests with the airrifles,now the landowner has aquired the surrounding fields which i know from seing the flocks of woodies destrying the crops from my trips on the old land are not goin to be stoppd with airrifles.There is a man who was shooting the land with the old owners permission so we are going to hit it witha joint attack.

Now what i want to know is what are the most helpfull and bassicly the best books to buy on pigeon shooting and basic shotgun shooting pointers and info,i know i wont be able to learn everything from a book but surely it will give me a bit of a push in the right direction,

i am searching the forum to but thoght it would help to have it all in one book.

thanks in advance

jake

I think sometimes, you can read to much, I think I would be taking a few trips up the new fields and sit watching, take a note book , search out for the best places for a hide or laying up positions, get use to the layout and watch for flight lines...

well done on the extension to the permission..ive just had the same and I will have to wait for FAC clearance on the new ground, so a good few recce's are in line :good:

enjoy the shotgun.. pigeon shooting is awsome...plus find out as much about decoying and patterns

I think sometimes, you can read to much, I think I would be taking a few trips up the new fields and sit watching, take a note book , search out for the best places for a hide or laying up positions, get use to the layout and watch for flight lines...

well done on the extension to the permission..ive just had the same and I will have to wait for FAC clearance on the new ground, so a good few recce's are in line :good:

enjoy the shotgun.. pigeon shooting is awsome...plus find out as much about decoying and patterns

This (In my opinion) is very sound advice! Could you not find someone fairly local to you that you could accompany while they go out and decoy some pigeons, even if you went just as an observer rather than an extra gun you could learn a lot? There is so much more that can be learned by watching someone that knows what they are doing rather than just learning from a text book! There really is no real substitute for "hands on experience"!

As for decoy patterns, there are quite a lot of threads on here that cover that if you do a search.

Please note - This post is meant is meant as constructive and helpfull advice and not any sort of a "put down", we all had to learn at some time and we are all here to try to help each other out but I prefer not to see people just learning from a book, we all know that what works on paper does not always work in practice!

I hope that all works out for you and that you get maximum pleasure, satisfaction and sport from your shotgun and the help that you are looking for!

I don't see it as a put down,I said in my original post I know I'm not goin to learn it from a book.I just thougtvut would help a little but more.

The flight lines i'm confident I know from my time on the old permission when shooting them with an air rifle.

I'll be honest with you I live next to heathrow airport just outside London and I don't know anyone who die hard pigeon shoots around here,a few people who shoot but just a bit of rough shooting.

Cheers for the advice fellas I'll just have to get myself out there and just keep trying until something works.

Jake