Cow pat puppy

Donnie

Hi all I have a 5 month old black lab who has never really been right on the toilet department since day one. He has been on eukanuba pup food and then eukanuba pup/Jnr food. His stools always used to be solid then a wet one straight after with him straining to get it out. Being my first dog I just thought this was the way he was. Then about a month ago he went off his food maybe taking 4 hours to finish a bowl. So I took him to the vets and he had a feel of his gut, no problems. He gave him a antibiotic jab and the next day solid stools and back on his food, great problem solved! No 2 weeks later he was passing small wet stools with blood in them. I phoned they're and the nurse said come in and get a tube of caniker which goes in four meals. Done that now his stools are like cow pats. A friend of mine with a lab saw his smaller stools and said he put his on wainwrights as low protein etc which we now have. 3 days in there are cow pats in his run still with blood and the odd small stool. Any advice hoe to get him straight? Ppl have suggested rice and chicken and lower amount of food (currently 400g a day) with scrambled egg every 2 days. I want to finish the week with wainwrights but I don't think he's gunna get any better on it.Do you think I'm doing right and just inpatient or need to do something else?

Blood: I would have him back at the vet and get something to reduce the inflammation in his gut, and take a stool sample for testing.

Then I would starve him for 24 hours then feed him chicken and boiled rice in 3 or 4 meals a day for a week.

Then I would introduce a good quality complete food in into the chicken and rice, soaked then added to the C&R in increasing quantities for another week before re-introducing him to his complete food on its own.

WGD is right. Get the dog's stool samples checked by the vet. It might possibly a paricite problem. More likely is that the dog has some kind of food intolerance that's causing the problem with the cowpats & blood (my niece's lab had exactly that problem). It seems that quite a lot of young dogs react badly to the wheat and maize that is in a lot of the complete foods. WGD's plan for letting the dog's gut rest for a short while & then getting him/her on to rice & chicken is sound. Once things settle down, try gradually introducing something like Skinners Duck & Rice & see how that goes.

Good luck

TT

Take the dog to the vet and take a faecal sample with you. Then can send it off and find out if there are any nasty parasites or bacteria in it. In my experience infectious causes are much more common than allergies/intolerances especially in puppies.

I assume puppy has been wormed regularly with a suitable product?

Then I would starve him for 24 hours then feed him chicken and boiled rice in 3 or 4 meals a day for a week.

Don't starve dogs with diarrhoea - food in the gut nourishes the cells and helps prevent bacteria entering the blood stream. Starve dogs that are vomiting.

Another update, went to vets last night (due to bank hol) and he gave him an anti inflamitary jab and a course of anti biotics. He also suggested their food at the vets royal canine as it will help with his gut, it bette at £20 for 4kg. He had a look at the stool I took in and said it would be another £60 ontop of the £60 I had to pay to send it off. Being the 3rd expensive vet visit in recent times due to his gut we have prospered this until we see what he is like after the course of tablets

Re worm the pup if you haven't done so in the last 4 weeks,

if it is small amounts of blood and not mucus type then it could be the straining or the fact that the pup is

eating chewing sticks ect from the garden which are scratching the pups intestines.

also try to persevere with a good quality food that has meat or meat meal as the main ingredient.

i use proplan puppy lamb and rice switching food every couple of weeks won't help the tummy settle,

keep with scrambled eggs these are good protein and pups enjoy them,

mine had 1/2 tin of rice pudding too for lunch when still on 3 meals per day

keep an eye on her and so long as playful she should pull through this stage.

jan