Roost Shooting

ellebarto

All my permissions seem a bit quiet right now and I have one with my brother thats a nice long strip of woodland rising up slightly at the edges to pasture land. Really night tall established sittie tree's and what woul dbe great roost shooting. We've been talking about roost shooting for a while and although its not really the right time, everything else was so quiet we thought we would give it a go.

Really enjoyed the field craft part of it and humping through the woods to a good spot we even stumbled on a few bunny warrens. As it happens we only saw a few and in 2 hours only had a few kills but they were both fast reaction shots and despite no big bag the whole 2 hours was a lot of fun. Looking forward to learning this skill and getting some better camo.

Anyone a roost shooting expert and can offer some tried and tested tips? On this evening the wind was blowing hard into the woods and our faces so that wasn't ideal. Our cam was very basic and we used two bouncers about 15 metres out of the hedgerow but wasn't sure if we should use any or more?

One tip, look at the floor for signs of feathers and droppings. This will indicate where the pigeons prefered roosting spots are.

Get in there, cover up and keep still :good:

Yep got that. How much emphasis on camo? My brothers considering ghillie type suits (not quite that extreme but close) is it worth that much effort? We are right inbetween hedges and trees so its fairly good now

As the light fades your face and hands become more visible, masks and gloves would also be my recommendation.

With the amount of leaf on the trees now you will probably have to keep close to the edge of the woodland, that makes camo/hide more important.

:stupid::good:

Army issue DPM clothing will be more than good enough mate :yes: