Scoutguard SG580M - trail cam with MMS & email

AndyCM

Hi All Fellow Inspectors, (Inspector Gadgets that is !),

Well it was only a matter of time before I invested (is that the right word?) in a trail cam.

Having no experience of these bits of kit yet, I decided to go straight in at the deep end and get a SG580M

http://www.hcodealer.com/product_info.php?products_id=74

which can text & email me when there's some action - will I ever get any sleep again?

I'm all ready for testing & being emailed at 3:00am with the evidence that there is a fox in the garden!

My thoughts now turn to set up (it's leaving the US any day now) - batteries, SD card, security, location etc - all cool with that.

Sim card ? - now here's where I'm stuck - data only, GSM, no idea of usage, what's the tariff / supplier options?

- I do have a 3network PC data card (monthly contract) - can I just throw that in the camera?

Bright ideas eh!

If it works it will be fantastic, as there are a few elusive deer I need timings on. No doubt a few foxes too.

Cheers

AndyCM

looks quite impressive :good: , your going to have to keep your mobile on charge for good, last time i checked my Trophy cam i had about 100 shots of Sheep to check out in 2 days :lol: Rabbits,Badger and fox will obviously be your main interest plus the odd deer :good: Bets of luck, they are brilliant tools, i have just ordered 2 more Trophy Cams from the US, hope they get here safely with my Bro :yes:

Hi All Fellow Inspectors, (Inspector Gadgets that is !),

Well it was only a matter of time before I invested (is that the right word?) in a trail cam.

Having no experience of these bits of kit yet, I decided to go straight in at the deep end and get a SG580M

http://www.hcodealer.com/product_info.php?products_id=74

which can text & email me when there's some action - will I ever get any sleep again?

I'm all ready for testing & being emailed at 3:00am with the evidence that there is a fox in the garden!

My thoughts now turn to set up (it's leaving the US any day now) - batteries, SD card, security, location etc - all cool with that.

Sim card ? - now here's where I'm stuck - data only, GSM, no idea of usage, what's the tariff / supplier options?

- I do have a 3network PC data card (monthly contract) - can I just throw that in the camera?

Bright ideas eh!

If it works it will be fantastic, as there are a few elusive deer I need timings on. No doubt a few foxes too.

Cheers

AndyCM

Looks the business, has it landed yet?

Neil

ANDY,

I'm not brilliant with ultra new tec but logically you need a sim in the cam and one for your phone - ok.

These cams can generate a lot of pics so it would be costly at 30p per time (typical picture rate) to send picture images.

The use of the machine will dictate whether you need a pic and if its just wildlife, bearing in mind cattle sheep etc, unless you site the cam away from it being triggered by farm animals, you will be getting 3 pics of sheep/ cows /rabbits for a quid.

If its security - then its a bit different but siting would again be important so you dont get e.g. passers by or rabbits.

I'd be tempted to get a sim only contract with loads of free pics and texts (12 month contract) -but that will cost you £10 per month but could be cheaper to run if its on the same network as your mobile.

I'd run it beforehand without a SIM, trying hard to site it carefully to minimise non target sightings and see from the sd card, how many triggers you would normally get.

As has been said, you dont want a hundred pictures of sheep each time you put it out - at 30p its going to cost more than the cam.

Set to texts, its always going to say 'image recorded or some such' the time will be on the cams SD card as well as any text sent. If its not miles away, you could check it daily or less ?

Interested to hear how it goes as i'm contemplating one of these for poachers !!!

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Ok took a while to show up - thanks to Customs !

Testing is going ok

th_IMAG0001.jpg

http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn83/andycm243win/?action=view&current=IMAG0001.mp4

Not tried the sim card yet, just getting the hang of video sizes & timer settings - it's going to help in the field no doubt !

I'm going to start naming the local foxes....

subsonic

hushpower

ballistic tip

that sort of thing !

Cheers

AndyCM