buying a defender ??

ste 2712

Had a 300 tdi 90 stolen in snow before xmas.It was the fourth time they had tried to nick it and was looking at a td5 90 to replace it.As i only use it for shooting looked at something cheaper and bought a td5 disco-i know the 90 just has 'something'but i now drive the disco and think why would you have a 90 over this?

Had a 300 tdi 90 stolen in snow before xmas.It was the fourth time they had tried to nick it and was looking at a td5 90 to replace it.As i only use it for shooting looked at something cheaper and bought a td5 disco-i know the 90 just has 'something'but i now drive the disco and think why would you have a 90 over this?

i know what you mean they do seem to get nicked alot!! i phoned a local garge that had one in he said he took a deposit for it on friday guy was meant to pick it up monday an sunday night it was nicked of a locked forecourt!!

i have been thinking about a disco as it will be my main car but as you say there is just something about a 90!!

Depends what you want to do with it. A Disco will do most if not all of what a 90 will do off road but in more comfort. Somehow though you can abuse a 90 without any guilt whereas it hurts more to bash a panel on a disco. Also don't forget the 90 bodywork won't rust (though it might get scabs) but the disco will, probably in the rear door shuts and wheelarches first and then anywhere you have bent or scratched. The 90 firewall will rot in the corners as mentioned above but the repair panels are about £12. If you are buying one, get underneath it as thats where any potential trouble will be, chassis and rear crossmembers can rot, but if you are handy with a grinder and a welder it is an easy fix if caught early enough. Engine / gearbox swaps are relatively easy with the right kit.

In short, if you are DIYer there is little to be scared of on a 90 and although they are slow, uncomfortable unrefined and definitely a working vehicle, there is just something about them. Abused Discos look tatty, abused 90s just look used, are totally classless and hold their money