GPS

pavman

I would just like to ask if anyone has a hand held GPS and how you get on with it.

I have just got the new wildfowling boat for the new season and a few times we got caught out in fog last year, it can come in very quick on our river which is a full salt tidal very fast flowing. As a safety precaution it may be very handy to have a hand held unit, as I believe you can plot a route out and then follow it back if the old mist comes in, never having used one any knowleadge you guys have would help me make my mind up,

cheers pavman

I use an old Garmin GPS-II out on the boat. Its a cracking bit of kit and perfect for your situation. They need to see at least 3 of the satelites but four or more and you have no problems.

The principal idea is that you set 'Way' poinbts into your unit. These would be your landing points and preferred loactions etc. Once you have them stored you can recall them and add them to a journey or as a desired destination. You can also 'mark' points you wish to avoid as well.

They also provide a host of other information. The basic models will give your 'track' which is your course taken, duration, speed, bearings, compass, etc. The more expensive models can provide more detailed mapping such as depth/height, land detail, hazardous areas, etc.

I would suggest a simple unit would be sufficient for your requirements. getting lost in sea mist is not funny at all. Infact its very dangerous. A mate of mine, in his power boat, decided to ignore a fog horn and travelled out to sea. Fortunately, he chose to turn about very quick as he realised that any further and he would simply not be able navigate as you could not see more than 20 feet. upon turning round and making it back to his mourings, he was surprised when all of a sudden a cross channel ferry appeared out of the mist without any warning. Lesson learnt!

Garmin GPS Website

pt-gpsmap478lf-lg.jpg

There are loads for sale on eBay.

Millets have a basic one for under £100. However a GPS is best used in conjunction with a map and not instead of! (Don't know where you'd stand with it being in a boat though!)

There are GPS units specific for boats. Wouldnt want to use a Tom Tom on a boat!! ha

My Dads got a garmin e-trex. It cost £110 when we got it but you can get it for about £90 now. Its realy easy to use once you have had a fiddle with it. Its not a boat one so im not sure how good it would be for you.

gents

The e-trex keeps coming so it may be a good bet I will have to check it out, can you do a course on how to operate or is it quite simple?

I understand you get a waterproof bag for them for in the boat, as a safety devise £90 is very good value for getting back to the quay in fog! once you see the fog coming you dont have time to get back up river before it closes in, had to sit for 5 hrs once until it cleared, very spooky

Pavman,

Not to sure about other makes but the Garmin units are very easy to operate, once you understand the terminology. I would imagine they have come on some but I doubt the principal operation has changed to much. Pick out a known make like Garmin as they have been doing it longer than most. Most people opt for water tight bags on a boat, not to water proof it, but to make it float. :devil: Most portable units are IP-51 rated anyway. The Garmin units I linked to come with a cradle that can be mounted in the boat. :/

What ever you choose and however you choose it, its definitely the right way forward.

Be safe!

I have had a Maggellan for a few years now, I took it to the states last year so we could find the hotel again :/

it only shows the direction needed but as long as you keep heading in the correct diriction it works.

Its also usefull on the hill if you have a deer down, as walk 100 yards away and you will often not see it.

I have had my Garmin XL12 since 98 or 99 and I have used it all over the world to great effect.

It has a mark function so if you intend returning to the position you started from you press mark then call it harbour or home or camp, I think you get the picture

Then you press the go to button select harbour etc and it will automaticly guide you back in a straight line to whare you started.

In some cases a straight line might not be the best way to get back as it may run you aground or take you straight over a cliff so it must be used in conjunction with maps or charts.

It will give you a 10fig grid referance at any given time or down to seconds when using maps and charts over seas. you can then see how best to get back to where you want to be.

With GPS always ensure you cary a spare set of batteries. The 4 pencil batteries last 24 hours in mine but the length of time they last can depend on how old the batteries are and whether they have been exposed to extreme cold. I the Arcrtic circle at -45 we were getting one or two fixs per set of batteries.

I always carry a silva compas on the end of a lanyard attatched to my GPS in case the GPS becomes unserviceable and you can also use the romar on the compass in conjunction with the map when working with 8figure grid referances which to be honest is more than accurate enough for any one.

Dave