Choke/steel shot/chamber length help needed!!

RossEM

Hello all,

I've recently bought a nice Aya Yeoman (side by side, 2 3/4" chambers) - the bloke in the shop recommended that I have it bored-out to 1/2 & 1/2 chokes if I intend to use steel cartridges (at the moment it's choked at 1/2 and full.)

I'm assuming he's said this because using steel cartridges in a fully-choked barrel may cause damage to the barrels - then again, he might just want me to part with an extra £40.

My question is, is having this work done really necessary, and why are problems caused by using steel with full choke? Obviously I'm not gonna risk it if there is a genuine safety issue and I'd appreciate some technical advice on this.

Also, he says the gun is "magnum proof." I might have got this wrong, but I thought 'magnum' meant cartridges or chambers with a length of 3" or 76mm and above. As this gun has 2 3/4" or 70mm chambers, what makes it magnum proof?

Cheers, Ross.

Hi Ross, 1/2 is the tightest choke acceptable when using steel shot. You'll get a more scientific answer from some of the guys on here but basically steel is harder than lead and so doesn't 'squish' as much as lead does when it's fired through a tight choke. Using a choke tighter than 1/2 can do some serious damage to your barrels, and potentially you if your barrels explode!!

You're right about magnum proof meaning acceptable for 3' cartridge, the way to check is to read the writing stamped on the barrels. If it's a magnum it will say 76mm somewhere... I'm pritty sure that's right anyway!

Bet the bloke in the shop wasn't a youngster!

Back in the day there was hardly a 3" chamber to be seen so, yep, you had your 23/4 magnum. Eley did a good 11/2oz load. I can't check because my AYA is 21/2" and I can't now remember whether the proof was 900 or 1200kg/cm2.

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to refresh my memory from the proof marks!

Cheers

Thanks mate, looks like I'll have to fork out another £40 to have it bored out to half choke then - better that than having a barrel explode. I'm a bit confused about whether the barrels would be 'steel proofed' - not sure what this entails?

Hi Wymberley, I don't pick the gun up til next week but I will post the proof marks on this thread when I have it. Yeah he's an old boy - I wish I'd haggled with him to get the work done inclusive of the price now!

I'm not 100% on this but I think provided barrels are nitro proofed you can shoot standard steel carts through with 1/2 choke or looser, But you CAN'T shoot high performance steel.

If using HP steel barrels need to be marked with the fleur de lys symbol or have 'STEEL SHOT' stamped on them. I think they need o be proofed to about 1330kg for HP steel.

Hi Wymberley, I don't pick the gun up til next week but I will post the proof marks on this thread when I have it. Yeah he's an old boy - I wish I'd haggled with him to get the work done inclusive of the price now!

The fastest possible/acceptable speed of your car is, say, 110 mph. Your maximum acceptable choke is 1/2. Do you continually drive your car flat out? Give the old girl a rest and haggle £60 for Imp/ 1/2. Lots of other advantages as steel patterns tighter than lead.

Many thanks.

Hi Wildfowler69, thanks for the advice. Can you tell me what the difference between normal steel and high performance steel cartridges is? Are you talking about load, velocity or both? I would be using Gamebore Super Steel 32g 4's for ducks.

The gunsmith was spot on yes have one barrel bored to 1/2 choke then normal steel cartridges will be fine as any gun proofed to 2 3/4 can shoot them if not more than shot size 4 (feo) and no tighter than 1/2 choke

Edited by utectok

I know there isn't much in it, but I'd go 1/4 and 1/2 choke. Gives you more variety with your quarry! You wont obliterate pigeon with 1/4 choke if you shot it at 25 yards compared to 1/2 choke! Also, it is more practical for English Sporting. This is just my personal opinion. :good:

Edited by Beretta Italy

Guest cookoff013

why dont you check the cip regulations and judge for yourself.

high performance cartridges are those that are 3" or larger, and or having a large shotsize than 3.25mm. (for 12gauge) and or recoil that is above 12n/s.

http://www.steel-shot.com/page.php?id1=5

so

3.3 Where the steel shot diameter exceeds 4 mm (?BB? or larger), only weapons having barrels with a choke less than 0.5 mm (equivalent to half choke) are to be used.

so there is a blanket ban on steel shot with tight chokes.

steel clayshooting loads i`d use tighter chokes, but only up to shotsize 6.

as for firing steel loads in your gun, thats your decision. ultimately you are responsable for your safety, and others around you.

this internet stuff is great !