.243 reloading problem

I think you'd be pretty unlucky to lose your FAC over running slightly under power. There must be hundreds of shooters running factory ammo through these shorter barrelled rifles - if you're not that keen and just have a rifle to do a job you may not even be aware of this problem.

You'd get a grilling I'm sure but let face it, when are these things ever checked? If you're stopped when out shooting Deer and there's .243 stamped on the barrel of your rifle I'd say you're going to be bloody unlucky if things go any further. :yes:

realistically its never going to happen but lets face it why knowingly break the law when the right bullet combo keeps you the right side of it

so high and mighty on the long range thread but willing to break the deer laws :hmm:

The other thing to be wary of is Hogdons data is way off velocity wise from a little bit of testing we did with 2 rifles so don't rely on book data when working it out.

Your poor partner, sharing life with you must be real fun. My 100gr sierras are well legal,but for how far ? Thankgoodness I don't shoot long range. Wake up and smell the coffee Al4x, how many short barrel 243's are slipping under the law, its not the best calibre for a short barrel.Bet you check the paper to check sun rise and sun set each day so you can pack up smack on an hour past. Trefil needs some advice on his rifle not you and browning to have little digs at me from a completly different post. If you want an arguement,find a topic you at least know something about and we can lock horns ya twxt. :lol::lol:

My pet load with 87vmax is 43.5grs H414, 2670 oal and cci primer, dont start with this load Trefil, back off 10% and work up in 0.5grs, the oal gives a good jump to the lands, most production hunting rifle like it that way but all rifles are differant. Don't worry about the fine tuning just yet. You'll get there for sure.

Your poor partner, sharing life with you must be real fun. My 100gr sierras are well legal,but for how far ? Thankgoodness I don't shoot long range. Wake up and smell the coffee Al4x, how many short barrel 243's are slipping under the law, its not the best calibre for a short barrel.Bet you check the paper to check sun rise and sun set each day so you can pack up smack on an hour past. Trefil needs some advice on his rifle not you and browning to have little digs at me from a completly different post. If you want an arguement,find a topic you at least know something about and we can lock horns ya twxt. :lol::lol:

go back and read what YOU wrote earlier reference worrying about the law. I just have a vague thought that as its not hard you shoot deer with a legal load. Otherwise I might as well just use my .223

I believe we've pointed Trefil in the right direction based on what happens with a gun with the same length barrel having double checked simply as we bought a chrono to see what re loads were actually doing. At that point people who say why worry about meeting the legal limits are fair game

I cant remember the exact velocity but it was nearly 3500 with the 70gr noslers

using N140 and CCI primers.

The rifle also had a 20" barrel.

I sold the rifle over a year ago and all the load data went with it so i

cant give you an idea of the powder weight.

go back and read what YOU wrote earlier reference worrying about the law. I just have a vague thought that as its not hard you shoot deer with a legal load. Otherwise I might as well just use my .223

I believe we've pointed Trefil in the right direction based on what happens with a gun with the same length barrel having double checked simply as we bought a chrono to see what re loads were actually doing. At that point people who say why worry about meeting the legal limits are fair game

I know what I wrote al4x and I don't think I need to justify myself, I didnt say forget the law and do all things illegal with your firearm. But its marginal so worrying about a few feet per second is less important than having an accurate load in my book. A 20inch barrel 243 isnt going to push into the realms of absolute over the top energy legality wise, if your that worried about it get a 308. Now you and Browning will have a field day with this next statement but what ever the legal muzzle energy of the 243 the calibre has plenty of power to knock down any of our deer species in the right hands, my old man killed stacks of fallow with his hornet, and not all head shots either.

Edited by Redgum