My First Fox

Heilan Coo

I had spotted a couple of cubs larking about last night while out with the dog, so decided to take another look by tonight, along with the Lanber just incase!

Pulled into the first field and had a look through the bino's over to the other field where I'd seen the cubs. No sign of them, but lying there in front of the gorse at the edge of the long grass, a fox, asleep enjoying the evening sun. Now I had to try and get close enough for a shot :hmm: . Drove along the edge of the field into the second one where the brow of a hill was between me and the fox. Went as near as I dared with the van then continued on foot to the brow. Was still too far for a shot :angry: So backtracked and headed up to the edge of the field which had long grass running along the fence line. Got 20 yards when it spotted me so I dropped to the ground and lay there for about 10 mins, the fox never taking its gaze from my direction the whole time.

I tried giving it a squeak, not interested, then, movement behind me! What the hell! My heart was racing, what was it? Not 2 yards away the head of the farmer from the adjoining ground appears just above the long grass! :lol: He'd spotted the fox too and came to get a closer look, not realising I was there. After exchanging whispered pleasantries I decided the only way to get close enough was to belly crawl 40/50 yards along by the fence through the longer stuff,(and as I discovered nettles :oops: ) then come down almost behind it. Made it! I could stand up again and after catching my breath and wiping my brow, I stuck a couple of 42g 3s into the barrels.

Now I made my way along the gorse which curved away around towards the fox, after 20 yards still no sign, had it took off, another 5 yards. We saw each other at the exact same second,no more than 15 yards away, I fired just as it tried to head for the gorse, then the second barrel unsure if I'd hit with the first in all the excitement. I made my way over and there it was amongst the long grass, "my first fox", a vixen, mother of the cubs I'd seen. Took a couple of pic's on the phone but can't upload them as my son or daughter has managed to break the usb ports :angry: Anyway sorry for waffling on (and on!) hoping to catch up with the cubs some other night.

Cheers, Mike.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike...Sorry, just seen yer post...Very well done on the fox..and for all the hard work you had in getting it.....it's a great feeling getting them in close , and using the shotty on them aint it..? First of many for you I hope...:)

Apology accepted :lol: Aye, was amazing feeling, adrenaline was fair pumping! Though I have to admit feeling a tinge of sadness when I saw the old girl lying there. Won't stop me going for another though and we have got plenty to go for here as well!!

Thanks to all who replied :good: