do i need decoys

stav

hi guy's. right just had a call from a friend, his mate has a farm which is plauged by pigeons and has ask me if i,d like too sort it out. my problem is he has asked me to go tomorrow with my gun and get cracking, but i,ve not done pigeon shooting before so have no gear (decoys). if i crack on with the job i can have all the shooting on the farm as the lads who do it now dunt bother keeping on top of it. i can get some decoy gear next week but dunt want to turn up tomorrow and not get owt a look stupid. any tips or advice greatley recieved. cheers stav

When you say no gear do you mean just a gun and carts?

Camo is really needed but then just dark clothes in a hedge at a push, decoys make or break the day so if you have none get there very early, you might be lucky and bag a few in a sitty tree, you can then use these to make a pattern, google horse shoe pattern and make that, no hide, issue but not the end of the day, find a hedge on a flight line and make the best of what you have, branches, grass, cowslip is good for a short day. Remember not to damage the hedge though, it is there for a good reason and if the farmer sees you chopping it up he will not be a happy man.

STAY STILL! they will see you but if you do not move until the last second you can blag it,

From the sounds of it you have nothing to lose and all to gain from this so do some web searches on what to do and then get there for about 5am and do your best.

Good luck!

hi, got everything by decoys, been shooting years just never pigeons. carnt get there early as farmer wants to meet me first.but lead to beleive the farms quite large and the lads that have been shooting it have told him they carnt get on top of them as they dunt have time. as for me it's 5 mins up the road so can get plenty of field time. cheers for tips. stav

If it's your first day on this land just take your gun and some cartridge's.

When you meet the farmer tell him your going to take a look around ,check out were the pigeon's are and were the flight line's are.

He will show you around set up in a hedge and let a few shot's every now and then at least you

will get them off the crop's.

Tell the farmer that you will be back next week with all your gear for a proper day's shooting.

This should give you time to get some decoy's but i'd get them sooner if you can, before he ask's someone else.

Good luck. :good:

If it's your first day on this land just take your gun and some cartridge's.

When you meet the farmer tell him your going to take a look around ,check out were the pigeon's are and were the flight line's are.

He will show you around set up in a hedge and let a few shot's every now and then at least you

will get them off the crop's.

Tell the farmer that you will be back next week with all your gear for a proper day's shooting.

This should give you time to get some decoy's but i'd get them sooner if you can, before he ask's someone else.

Good luck. :good:

This is sound advice, always be honest with the farmer, perms are hard to get but very easy to lose, remember to clean up after yourself take dead birds and used carts home with you. :yes: