Early Ranger or L200?

MattSoanes

Now looking to get another 4x4, ive not got a fortune to spend so have been looking at the early Ford Ranger crew or king cab 2000 - 2002 and L200 king cab models 1998 - 2002.

Obviously i know i want something with at least some service history and preferably some t+t, but wanted some views of the people who have owned or do own one of these on which would be the better buy.

Thanks

drive both, rangers tend to be cheaper but are less fuel efficient and more agricultural to drive. Spares for both are easy to get and maintenance is pretty straight forward. Look for one thats been well looked after its worth paying more for it simply as it will save you a lot in the long run

Ive had both, ive had two L200s, one on a 'T' and on on '52' plate, still got the Ranger 'w' 2000 (Infact mine is a Mazda b2500, Ford Rangers are rebadged B2500s), If you want a good looking crewcab buy an L200 but if you want outstanding value for money buy a Ranger/Mazda B2500 , heres why.... Both the L200s only did 20-24 mpg tops, the Mazda will do about 27-30mpg. The Mazda has got loads more power than the L200s. Parts for the Mazda arnt too expensive, the rear diff bearings went due to a leaking pinion seal at 124000 the bearings and seal cost about £50 delivered and ive had a new radiator £70 delivered,not too bad really i think. The L200s have cost me a fortune in parts over the years. The last one (52 plate) the head (£800), the stearing pump(£130 second hand!) went and it constantly ran with the engine management lamp on, even the Mitsubishi dealer cudnt get to the bottom of it. The final straw was when the 4x4 lamp started to flash constantly, Mitsubishi said it would be a vacuum operated solinoid and the only way of fixing the problem was by changing all of them at £95 each.. no thanks, time to cut my losses and try something else. Ive had two discos, two L200s and this Mazda B2500 in the last 13 years and its been by far the best value work horse ive had and the biggest n best supprise, I only gave £1800 for it on Ebay nearly a year ago with 12months T+T.

post-8227-0-71336600-1311016669.jpg

Edited by Vel Crow