4 X 4 Tyres

rimfire4969

I know this may have been covered before.

Why is it that BFG AT's are held in such high regard compared to say Insa Turbo Ranger Tyres, i believe the Insa is a copy of the AT and a remould, but what should that mean to me, someone who does about 4000 miles a year in my 110 50/50 off/on road, when the BFG's would cost me at least an extra £150.00 a set, are you paying for the name or are they that much better off road?

When i say 50/50 on and off road that is in time not miles.

off road there isn't much difference other than the compound is usually a lot softer. The BFG's tend to do at least 60k a set the remoulds usually half that. They also tend to be fairly hard to balance so you end up with loads of wheel weights on them and they will still tend to loose the odd one and need re doing unless you like the steering shaking at 60.

In your 110 if you don't go far in it go remoulds they will be fine and with your use you won't get the benefits from the real thing. I've had both the remoulds on a fourtrak were fine as it never went far or fast,

I know this may have been covered before.

Why is it that BFG AT's are held in such high regard compared to say Insa Turbo Ranger Tyres, i believe the Insa is a copy of the AT and a remould, but what should that mean to me, someone who does about 4000 miles a year in my 110 50/50 off/on road, when the BFG's would cost me at least an extra £150.00 a set, are you paying for the name or are they that much better off road?

When i say 50/50 on and off road that is in time not miles.

if your worried about off road performance buy some muds, still good on road. id go the extra for the bf's myself

Good quality tyres are usually held in better regard because of the better blended compounds, and higher and more consistent weight / balancing. As has been mentioned the BFG ATs have a reputation for fantastic longevity with 50-70k not uncommon.

If you're not doing many miles then a little extra noise / faster wear isn't really a problem. Particularly as it only takes a sharp bit of slate / rock to damage the sidewall to the point of needing a new tyre.