attracting wild pheasants

ive recently aquired the shooting rights of a new farm, which i think would make for a really nice morning out walking up pheasnts with a few freinds :yes: the land owner has said he doesnt really want me to build a pen, so releasing brought poults is out of the question, ive run it past other freinds who i usually put my birds down with and they have said i should pull in a good few wild birds just by feeding, which the owner is absolutley fine with, in fact has offered to help if needed :good: , after an initial walk with the owner i have found about 10-13 areas of rough ground about 50 foot square, consisting of ferns and bracken, small bushes, thick hedges etc, i was thinking about putting a feeder by each of these so would be 10 feeders, and filling them just once a week, but also using bird puller (which I've had quite good success with in the past, all be it with birds we've released) and would probably start in august if it sounds like a decent plan :hmm: im not looking for great numbers dont want 100 bird days or anything like that, just to be able to walk the farm, with 2 or 3 freinds every few weeks and see a few nice birds each and have a few nice shots :good: just a good mornings sport with friends really. does everyone think this could work out quite well for us, or is it just a waste of time? :hmm: cheers

fudd

Well, if you don't want flack from neighbouring shoots, feed early before they release their poults so that you know you really do have wild or overwintering birds.

Otherwise you are going to get an earwigging from some very hard working and annoyed neighbours.

Feelings run high on our shoot because the next door one shoots our ducks without putting any down themselves

As said feed all year round mate. If you get a pair with poults then they know where to get easy pickings when there older. Only downfall is they maybe start get to dependant on your feed. I would put feeders out this season and forget about shooting, bring feeders in about march/april and put back out about august/september and see what there is next year. Depends on how desperate you are for sport. Vermin control would be a must, fox's all year round and stoats, rats ect start of spring.

Billy

Edited by billbroon