Nikon Sporter bins

Gimlet

Was in the same position as yourself until recently, wanted set of bins but didn't have £1500-£2000 to spend

on them. Ended up buying set of Alpen Shasta Ridge 10x42's for £86, got 30% off with trade discount :good:

As far as I'm concerned they're the dogs baws. But then I've never had a sat of Swarovski or Zeiss to compare

them to! But can they really be worth 10-15 time the price?? :hmm:

Makes you wonder doesn't it. Went stalking recently with a guy who had a pair of £500 Zeiss. Very nice and sharp compared to my old Bushnells, But £400 better?

On the other hand spotting a roe deer thats couched in long grass next to a hedge with just its head showing is tough and you can use all the help you can get. Much harder than spotting rabbits in a hedge bottom at 100 yds. All the same I suspect that some shooters have more money than sense.

I need some new bins for stalking and bunny spotting. Can't afford top notch Euro stuff. Budget £200 max. Looking at Nikon Sporter EX10x50 £150 at Uttings. All I know about bins is which end to look through. Will these do me?

I have 5 Nikon rifle scopes and a Nikon spotting scope...if their bins are as good as these and their cameras ...just do it.

;);)

You really do get what you pay for but whether the european glass is worth the premium really depends on the end user. My wife & I have Swaro and Kowa scopes for birding, we both have Nikon Bins and my riflescopes are both Nikko Sterling. I owned a pair of Hawke bins for two weeks!

The Swaro really is yards ahead of all the rest. I really got the Kowa for range work but then stopped using open sights so have not used it too many times! I traded in the Hawkes for the Nikons after two weeks because they were hopeless.

The two riflescopes perform well outside in good weather. One struggles on the range in poor weatherat 300m, the other struggles on an indoor 22 range in any weather....

The long and short of it is that if all your use will be in good visibility then it matters much less what you choose. The main reason we went for the Swaro was that we wanted a quality scope that we would not want to trade in in a few years and the eye relief on the Nikon just didn't work for us. Optically there was less difference.

Whether you buy Japanese or European the main time the price difference shows is in poor visibility, either as the light is going or in poor weather and that really is what you are paying for... the ability to still see the target and get a shot off as disk approaches or in poor visability.

wg