thinking about getting my sgc !

ok i was thinking about applying for my sgc after christmas, whats the best way to go about it to get some experience.. clays or just getting one and getting out ? i have had a go with one about 32 yrs ago with i lad i knew when he went shooting and it was alot harder than i though, here is me thinking theres loads of shot how can you miss but it was like the woodies saw them coming and were dodgeing them.. only had 4 shots and hit nowt lol. next thing would be what are the chokes for and does it realy matter and when you want to get rid of a gun and cant sell it then what can you mget it destroyed or what. just you see lots of cheap guns for 60-100 quid but if you cant see it then what.. i have some land in chesterfield nr shirland with some wheat fields that i could shoot over when they have been cut but there are cows bow the bottom end of the field and the odd house. like i said i am a newbie to shotugn i dont know where i stand.. any help would be greatfull or even show me the ropes if you want to come onto my land with me and show me sometime.

thanks.

First things to do are:

Go have a couple of lessons at a clay ground.

Send form off to the police

Go have a few more lessons

Wait for interview

Go have a few more lessons

have browse round some shops

GO have a few more lessons

Wait for letter from Police

Simples.....

Chokes, patterns, decoys, selling guns, buying guns etc will all come later get some lessons, get a cert then worry about the rest!

Edited by HDAV

Getting lessons is all well and good, but can be expensive. It's not a bad suggestion by any means, but instead of walking in to your local clay ground and asking for lessons try asking if there's anyone who would mind showing you the basics of safety and lead etc.

I shot every week for about three months with a chap at my local ground. Didn't cost a penny apart from buying him a coffee when we sat and had a chat (and obviously I bought my own ammo).

Not every club is like it, but most will have a few experienced shots willing to help you out. I certainly would. You will learn how to hit things faster with a pro coach but it will cost you, and it depends just how good you want to get and how quickly?

I never said pay for lessons, however in my experience it is money well spent!.

A note on Coaches there are 3 main types:

Ground staff who work for/run/own a shooting Ground:

Freelance coaches who will coach at various locations levels etc:

Club members who help at clubs and don't necessarily charge, charge less (but you generally have to join the club):

Of course you get get good back and excellent in all 3, just find one you get on with can relate to and believe. A good grounding pays dividends whether you paid for it for not! I have had lessons from all 3 and settled on someone who i trust and believe.

Remeber every time you pull the trigger its between 20 and 50p.

50p makes the maths easy but a 100 wasted shots is £50 that normally buys you an hour or more of coaching!

Edited by HDAV

looks like its a no go from start cant get it countersinged. my doctor point blank wont sign for them, neither will my dentist, even the doctors at where my mum is practice manager they wont even sign them. i dont have a solicitor never had need and even the bank wont sign it so iam screwed i now have to phone the firearems officer and talk to them and try and sort something out. i have a passport that proves who i am also a minestry od defence contractors car to prove who i am and with that had to have a full background check with my records inc doctors and also family background checks. its a bloody joke.

Any responsible person who has known you for 2 years personally can counter sign, boss, pub landlord at your local etc corgi plumbers can count just speak to FEO about it

It's not about proving who you are that's easy but that you are a suitable person to hold SGC.

Check the list here: http://www.durham.police.uk/info/firearms/shotguns/countersig.php and note the bottom bit!

Acceptable Countersignatories

Members of Parliament

Minister of religion

Doctor

Dentist

Lawyer

Established civil servant

Senior bank or building society official

Justice of the Peace

Lecturer

Teacher

Accountant

Senior manager

The list is not exhaustive and every application will be judged on its merit.

Unacceptable Countersignatories

Any member of the applicant's family, (this includes "in-laws", "step-relatives" and "common-law" spouses)

Serving police officers

Police civilian employees

Registered firearms dealers

People with serious criminal convictions

People with convictions for firearm offences

Edited by HDAV