miffed at oal in rem 30-06

when i started reloading for my .223 i got the cartridge oal by making a dummy round and trying it in the gun and adjusting the seating die till it was 0.010" off the lands which worked fine as it was only a couple off thou off what it should be (2.200"). when i did this yesterday to find out the oal for my 30-06 here is what i found, with a 150gr winchester pp, the cartridge oal that could chamber in my gun was 3.418" (meant to be 3.340") when the bullet was sitting in at that length the cannelure was 0.210" away from the neck and the bullet was only in the neck by a lucky 4mm. with a 178 a-max the oal that could chamber in my gun was 3.481" again meant to be 3.340". it seems a hell of a jump to the lands when seated at the correct oal. can anyone shed any light on this. all the measurement were taken from the case head to the tip of the bullet with calipers as i dont have the proper thing for measuring from the ogive! hope this all makes sense.

when i started reloading for my .223 i got the cartridge oal by making a dummy round and trying it in the gun and adjusting the seating die till it was 0.010" off the lands which worked fine as it was only a couple off thou off what it should be (2.200"). when i did this yesterday to find out the oal for my 30-06 here is what i found, with a 150gr winchester pp, the cartridge oal that could chamber in my gun was 3.418" (meant to be 3.340") when the bullet was sitting in at that length the cannelure was 0.210" away from the neck and the bullet was only in the neck by a lucky 4mm. with a 178 a-max the oal that could chamber in my gun was 3.481" again meant to be 3.340". it seems a hell of a jump to the lands when seated at the correct oal. can anyone shed any light on this. all the measurement were taken from the case head to the tip of the bullet with calipers as i dont have the proper thing for measuring from the ogive! hope this all makes sense.

you will find your rifle has what known as a loong throat,this is so it will accept all weights of factory ammom as onvioulsy the heavier the bullet the longer it will be and being a 30.06 you can get sone very heavy bullets for it

like all factory rifles the chamber will be long,some makes even longer than others,just work to magazine length and work back from there,if usine a florr plate make sure theres enough bullet in the case to start with,then again work back from there

you will find your rifle has what known as a loong throat,this is so it will accept all weights of factory ammom as onvioulsy the heavier the bullet the longer it will be and being a 30.06 you can get sone very heavy bullets for it

like all factory rifles the chamber will be long,some makes even longer than others,just work to magazine length and work back from there,if usine a florr plate make sure theres enough bullet in the case to start with,then again work back from there

whats the minnimum amount of bullet you would want in the neck of the case?

The norm is for the bullet to be seated to a depth equal to or further than the diameter of the bullet but I have target shooting friends who seat only a couple of mm.. doesn't seem to adversly affect anything, just awkward to get the seating concentric. Also, the shallower the seating, the easier it is for the concentricity to be knocked off if magazine feeding. Doesn't affect the guys above as they always single feed

its a remington 700 bdl! my friend has a sako in 30-06 and we tried the dummy round that was made to fit my gun in his gun and it couldn't even nearly chamber and when he tried to take it out it wouldn't come out, we had to take the bolt out so it could clear the opening in the reciever. bit of a scutter!!!!!!!!!!

its a remington 700 bdl! my friend has a sako in 30-06 and we tried the dummy round that was made to fit my gun in his gun and it couldn't even nearly chamber and when he tried to take it out it wouldn't come out, we had to take the bolt out so it could clear the opening in the reciever. bit of a scutter!!!!!!!!!!

dont you listen mate "ALL" rifles are different even the same make,you will have to find what seating depth your rifle likes no matter what everyone elses measure