Ready to start looking. I think....

Woodypk

Ok, I've got my cards and more importantly i've got my gun, insurance etc.

I've decided that to start looking for permission, I'm going to try and ask for shooting inside barns and farm buildings. That is where the air rifle will come into its own. Then hopefully if I can get the permission in the buildings, I may be able to gain permission over the land and apply for a SGC/FAC and get a gun to be able to control the land.

What do you think?

Any tips for me in the asking department?

I'm still a bit unsure about walking onto a complete strangers land asking for some shooting permission. Any tips would be greatly appreciated on how to actually ask.

Thanks,

Tom.

Ive been lucky - met the farmer in the pub - beat for him every year, rent some land off him, and helpout whenever i can ( i have los od free time ) however ive never been asked to shoot on his shoots ( only just got me SG ) but i have permissions for more land than i need and get some good wildfowling aswell really lucky, if i move away ive no idea where i would even start, its all landed at my feet tbh!

Few tips:

Firstly don't dress up like a commando and ask about 'killing vermin with my new gun'

Be polite and up front, if you're not confident enough to go into conversation about what you intend to do, go out and get some experience first. Even if you get a no, offer him a card with you're name and number on.

Best of luck, knock on every door!

:good:

Ok. And when you mean every door? How do I know which houses live a farmer? And like I said, I'd be weiry(sorry for spelling) walking across someones land to get to a farmhouse.

I'm a little worried if you can't identify a farmhouse whether you should be wandering around the countryside with a gun!

:D

I'm a little worried if you can't identify a farmhouse whether you should be wandering around the countryside with a gun!

:D

Not as easy as it sounds. I was dropping flyers touting for work a few months back and went equipped with a list of farm business addresses. Some of the places you would have thought were workers accomodation, I'd have driven right past them had I not known otherwise. Likewise, when you pull into a yard the posh farm house isn't always the farmers residence. They may have been at some stage but some are rented out.

Tap farmer into yell.com and then make a list of the addresses and work through them. Its very frustrating trying to identify who owns what land wise also, especially when land is rented out to different folk all the time. Have a word in your local farmers merchants, they might point you towards some of the bigger farmers or even just some of the nicer ones.

Thanks for that ack-ack. I'll be sure to do that. I'm thinking now the easiest way of getting to know a little more is to join a club. I might just have to pop round to the local club and get a membership:P That way I may even be able to tag along and then who knows, I may get a permission of my own.