Open fields or close to woods??

jez28

I have been out to the same spot twice recently and not having much success.

Im shooting in a field which is right next to a big roosting woods. On the other side of the field is a smaller wood. There are lots of birds about, but they seem happy to fly straight over, either on the way too or on the way from the woods. A few will come into the pattern and land but not many. My question is this......

Is it better to be in a more open field without the woods so that the birds can see the pattern easier??

Views please.... :hmm:

Edited by jez28

i was shooting next to some trees yesterday only had 15 mist a good few but the birds are landing in the middle of the field about 200 yards away i was thinking of putting a big owl decoy where they are landing to send them my way

Why not try setting up in the middle of the field where there landing in ?

Why not try setting up in the middle of the field where there landing in ?

Spot on there, Tom. I always try to set up in the middle of a field if i think i'll have more success there - especially on stubble fields.

Too many people don't like to set up out in the open because they think pigeons get put off by their hide. More people should try it - it works!

Spot on there, Tom. I always try to set up in the middle of a field if i think i'll have more success there - especially on stubble fields.

Too many people don't like to set up out in the open because they think pigeons get put off by their hide. More people should try it - it works!

when doing this, do you have a net acting as a roof on hide so birds cant see straight in or does it not matter as long as you keep still?

when doing this, do you have a net acting as a roof on hide so birds cant see straight in or does it not matter as long as you keep still?

You can do but i never have used a roof when pigeon shooting ,like you have said aslong as you keep still you should be fine :good: