Feed prices

We are using Heygates, its expensive but wheat is £150 a ton and rising but its good, I would though have no issues using Marsdens, that is also good.

DO NOT SKIMP ON WHAT YOU ARE FEEDING YOUR POULTS, this is crucial to getting good strong healthy birds early in the season. Feed your birds on the same pellets your supplier has been rearing them on. Price per ton will depend on volume, 2000 birds will want between 3 and 4 tonnes of pellets some of which will need to be medicated.

Cant help with actual Marsdens costs but why are you asking this late into the rearing rear, your birds should by now be on wheat and out of the pens and away.

A

Sorry if I came across unclear I'm just trying to put some costs together to see if rearing some birds of are own for next year

Cheers sam

No problem, the issue with rearing from day old is A, costs of setting the job up, huts, infra red heaters, feeders, drinkers, bedding etc and the fact that they are intensely labour intensive in those first few weeks. It gets to hot in the hut, the pile on top of each other and kill themselves, to cold and they just die, get them out into a run, a storm on them coudl kill a lot through chill after rain. and B, Time; Dont expect to see them twice a day and thats it, that would be a disaster. Someone needs to be with them from first to last light. Rearing using broody hens would be easier. Disease is another issue that I have not touched on.

Rearing from day olds needs money, time and experience. Got a semi retired keeper who would be prepared to do it them maybe you might have a runner, if not forget it, pay £3.25 for 6-7 week poults and pop them into a pen.

A

once you've paid out your expence of buying all the kit it works out at around a £1 cheaper to rear each bird than it is to buy in (old figures). like Alycidon said they take up alot of time i would always go for just buying in if you are able, you think releasing is stressfull well times by 100 and you are getting close to wot rearing is like!! chicks seem to do anything to try and kill themselves. its never a nice moment to look in a shed and you have 50/100/500 ect dead which can happen very easily and quickly.

i would buy in and spend extra time on pen maintenance and pest and predator control.

once you've paid out your expence of buying all the kit it works out at around a £1 cheaper to rear each bird than it is to buy in (old figures). like Alycidon said they take up alot of time i would always go for just buying in if you are able, you think releasing is stressfull well times by 100 and you are getting close to wot rearing is like!! chicks seem to do anything to try and kill themselves. its never a nice moment to look in a shed and you have 50/100/500 ect dead which can happen very easily and quickly.

i would buy in and spend extra time on pen maintenance and pest and predator control.

Agreed, thankless job in my book.

A