Add Cormorants to the general license

njc110381

Apparently in January the government were making noises towards considering controls of Cormorants, as their numbers are causing extreme problems for some inland fisheries. There was a petition in the fishing shop in Devon asking for signatures to be presented as the countrymans side of the case, as obviously there will be opposition.

Details can be found here...

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/cormorants-biodiversity-in-danger.html

I've put my name down as I know of several local lakes with serious problems.

EDIT... I now have copies of the paper documents if anyone wishes to display them at lakes they own/lease etc. Please PM me an email address if you would like me to forward a copy to you.

Edited by njc110381

Not sure they should be put on the general licence.

Every Tom, Richard and Harry will want to shoot them, even if they're not causing a problem (think Canada Geese).

I do however think that if they're a particular problem then upping the number that can be shot in a particular area is fine. Allowing just 3/4 a year won't make a lot of difference.

Edited by poontang

Every Tom, Richard and Harry will want to shoot them, even if they're not causing a problem (think Canada Geese).

I do however think that if they're a particular problem then upping the number that can be shot in a particular area is fine. Allowing just 3/4 a year won't make a lot of difference.

Have you ever seen what damage they do to rivers as well as pools, they are not inland birds so should be shot on sight, you dont have to shoot them its your choice. Woodydog.

I think that they cause enough of a problem to justify it from what I have seen locally. As said above, they're not inland birds and shouldn't be here - they're simply coming in land I suspect due to lower fish stocks in the sea and easy pickings in shallow lakes and rivers.

Even if all the land based birds were shot, you would think there would still be plenty more left where they came from around the coast?

Upping the the numbers is a great idea, but,,,, trust me when I say that most [probably] of fisheries that currently shoot cormorants under licence, shoot many more than they're supposed to :yes: So upping the number on the licence sounds great, but in reality wouldn't actually realise more being shot, except where the numbers shot per licence are adhered to.

As for every T, R and H wanting to shoot them, even if they're not causing a problem? Answer: the cormorant will only be found in/on/around rivers/lakes etc except when flying [at high level' ie: out of shotgun range], which is about the only time they'e not causing a problem. When on the water, they are extremely difficult to shoot, and with FAC being the most suitable to do this, the environment has to be made safe [busy fishery or one with properties close by]. They do also land in prominent trees, but again shooting into trees with FAC is very rare, so this again limits the "shooting opportunities". FAC air is an option, and of course shotguns, but again safe shooting prevails.

So every T,R and H might want to shoot them, but probably can't.

I shoot on a bit of land next to the Kentish Stour which is a trout fishery, with some general course fish species aswell. This short stretch, 1/3 mile long and max 5yds wide and max 5ft deep, is visited regularly by a pair of these pests [mild description!]. I spend many an hour sitting on the bankside marvelling at the abundant wildlife while waiting for rabbits to show, and only see large or tiny [fry sized] fish in the clear water. So they've just about cleaned out this stretch, and probably those either side [about 3 miles of quiet river] of all small medium sized fish :angry:

I'm also a member of a large fishing club with our own waters [owned by the club/members] and our fish stocks are regularly plundered by many cormorants. They are shot regularly under licence ;) but not on sight. Each lake has to be closed, checked that no one is there, gates locked [with a seperate shooters only lock] and signs put up. Even then, shots can only be taken in certain directions because of neighbouring houses/properties etc. And this is done only about 4 or six times a year, so many are not shot and get to come back another day, and/or visit more lakes and rivers in the area.

IMO they just need to be put on the GL, a decision which can be rescinded whenever "they" choose. This will just make it easier to shoot, without going through all the red tape involved now getting the relevant licence.

TBH I don't think many more will be shot where they're being controlled already, but it will open up other areas, with safe responsible shooting of course :good:

Also, the suggested daily intake and size of fish these birds eat is greatly under estimated! By a long way!!! They also stab out at fish much larger than they could possibly eat, causing damage and sometimes suffering and a lingering death :angry:

Edited by JKD

i run a local water and we r licenced to shoot 10 per year and seen 4 on lake at 1 time they say they eat 2lbs of fish per day it soon adds up they take a lot of fish out we stock from a £1000 to £3000 pounds of fish per year depending on funds so i would like to see more shoot !!!!! as for not been inland !!!! we r 35 miles from the see and still get them on our water!!!i have signed up

I was no.1339 so we will be needing a LOT more sigs.

Quite a lot of people will be signing paper copies in fishing shops and the like. I came across it in a fishing shop in Ilfracombe, North Devon. I've already forwarded the details to a chap I know who owns a fishing lake and I'm mates with a fishing shop owner so will be letting him know too.

If the word can be spread so that anglers have the chance to sign at their venue or when they go to buy bait I expect the numbers will be much more significant. :yes: