Charity Clay Shoot

MJN

I agree, there are a few things we need to do better if we do it again , pens that work for a start ,

Also we had too many no birds , I'll try what we have remaining in different traps before I comment on their quality

But now I've done it once I'll know what to look out for next time ( if there is a next time)

Regards

Mike

A box or two of Pencils and a couple of sharpeners might be a better bet ?

I was thinking more along the lines of, Instead of standing in the tea tent Self Congratulating themselves/each other, Some of your Rotarians coming out and manning the stands and doing some button operating. (Run their event)

One guy to take my money, another half dozen or so to serve a bacon roll and a coffee, another to take the money for that.

Yet only yourself on the stands & fairplay to you, You were the only rotarian visibly manning a stand consistantly for the 2hrs I was there.

As I turned up and had paid, other folks turned up and were asking for 20G carts to be told "No, haven't got any, nobody thought of those" and almost turning people away.

I suggested to a couple of the 'organisers' that they ask Alan as he normally seems to have a cab full of carts which strangely seemed to meet with some reluctance ?

Gotta feel abit sorry for Alan, having seen his traps in action in Norfolk and a very tiny percentage of 'no birds' was suprising seeing all the bits being launched today, (but then they weren't his clays apparently)?

Edited by TaxiDriver

PENS THAT WORK ????

Jeez if thats the worst thing you think you've got to worry about, heaven help the cause,

I was thinking more along the lines of, Instead of standing in the tea tent Self Congratulating themselves/each other, Some of your Rotarians coming out and manning the stands and doing some button operating. (Run their event)

One guy to take my money, another half dozen or so to serve a bacon roll and a coffee, another to take the money for that.

Yet only yourself on the stands & fairplay to you, You were the only rotarian visibly manning a stand consistantly for the 2hrs I was there.

As I turned up and had paid, other folks turned up and were asking for 20G carts to be told "No, haven't got any, nobody thought of those" and almost turning away.

I suggested to a couple of the 'organisers' that they ask Alan as he normally seems to have a cab full of carts which strangely seemed to meet with some reluctance ?

Gotta feel abit sorry for Alan, having seen his traps in action in Norfolk and a very tiny percentage of 'no birds' 'twas almost shameful seeing all the bits being launched today, (but then they weren't his clays apparently)?

Post script : Buy a couple of packets of Pencils and a couple of sharpeners.

I think you'll find that Rotarians give up their spare time to fund raise for charities (amongst other things).

I don't think that your comments are very constructive and the old adage "if you haven't got anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all" applies here.

It was a nice sunny morning, the Rotarians that we had dealings with were all happy and helpful and it was a good first attempt at a clay shoot - FOR CHARITY.

I had a good time and wouldn't dream of bad mouthing a charity event where people have given up their time for free.

I gayed stand 1, but the rest of the card was solid.

10/10 on the pool shoot was also very heroic of me :lol: BTW Mike, I asked the nice people in the main tent to put any pool shoot winnings into the charity pot

The 'A' bird on stand 1, did fool the majority of shooters, but we did have a couple of 8's or 9's. You might want to ask hitclays which was the midi trap,as I know we had one slipped in somewhere.

High gun on the day was 43, followed by a couple of 41's.

Thanks Mungler for the pool stand donation, we only had 2 10's on the stand during the day, Hitclays was the other!

As for other comments,

Clays came from the source recommended by Allan of fairclays,

Pencils did arrive later after we found the pens were ****.

Regards and thanks to all.

Mike.

Thanks Mungler for the pool stand donation, we only had 2 10's on the stand during the day, Hitclays was the other!

Demz da mad skillz.

Incidentally, I did a *** out 4/10 on stand 1, but the others were 10's and 9's, I can't remember what my final score was - maybe a 42.

A good shoot nonetheless with something in there for everyone.

And yes, the A bird on Stand 1 - tres sneaky. A side on midi at distance thrown at a 35 degree angle (like a side on teal) that went left to right quickly and then faded and dropped (side on) - on those I normally try and mug them on the way up or bottle it and shoot them on the way down. Getting them on the way up was tricky with the wind, and the way down they wandered all over the place (and side on) making it difficult. A bogey bird for me and I could quite happily spend an afternoon having a go at a stand like that to try and iron it out. Indeed, if anyone on here knows of a clay ground that has that type of bird as a regular target then I would like to know and go and have a go.

stand 1 bogey for me too! - got five and missed all of the first ones. I couldnt get on the first one even though it looked quite hittable.

Need to do what Digweed did at Hodnet recently after blanking on the stand where you fire down into the valleys each side. He went back the next day to the stand and did 250 carts until he could straight it!

In fact set it up again this weekend Mike and we can all pop back down! :good:

Demz da mad skillz.

Incidentally, I did a *** out 4/10 on stand 1, but the others were 10's and 9's, I can't remember what my final score was - maybe a 42.

A good shoot nonetheless with something in there for everyone.

And yes, the A bird on Stand 1 - tres sneaky. A side on midi at distance thrown at a 35 degree angle (like a side on teal) that went left to right quickly and then faded and dropped (side on) - on those I normally try and mug them on the way up or bottle it and shoot them on the way down. Getting them on the way up was tricky with the wind, and the way down they wandered all over the place (and side on) making it difficult. A bogey bird for me and I could quite happily spend an afternoon having a go at a stand like that to try and iron it out. Indeed, if anyone on here knows of a clay ground that has that type of bird as a regular target then I would like to know and go and have a go.

Hi mate stand one A bird was a standard not a midi,from what i saw people were shooting it with to much lead, and it was quartering.With regards to the clays yes there were a few no birds.I even emptied a couple of traps and filled them with new clays,i suppose it was just a dodgy pallet.With regards to the organisation of the shoot it was by no means rubbish,just a couple of very minor things.people gave there time freely to organise and run the event but also the shooters gave their time and money to support it so lets all move forward in the hope that monies raised will help those less fortunate than us well done everyone :good:

Hi mate stand one A bird was a standard not a midi,from what i saw people were shooting it with to much lead, and it was quartering.With regards to the clays yes there were a few no birds.I even emptied a couple of traps and filled them with new clays,i suppose it was just a dodgy pallet.With regards to the organisation of the shoot it was by no means rubbish,just a couple of very minor things.people gave there time freely to organise and run the event but also the shooters gave their time and money to support it so lets all move forward in the hope that monies raised will help those less fortunate than us well done everyone :good:

:stupid:

Twas good fun and nice to drive just five minutes to shoot! Bring on some more!!

To finish off this thread, I must thank Allan (HITCLAYS) again for his setting up up of the traps/stands/ropes etc. a very professional and smooth operation he has. Within the confines of the land and the rules we had to adhere too, the layout I reckon had something for everyone.

Well done.

Thanks to all that turned up without you it would be pointless.

Many regards

Mike.