bullet seating

interesting as one of the few things google shows up on it is you mentioning it in a similar number of AI's

http://www.airgunbbs.com/archive/index.php/t-450665.html

as i said also seen it happen in a std 243 using 58gr v max,had a hell of a job removing it,he now uses 65gr v max with Vit 140 and has never given a problem since also cleans better and shows a lot less powder fowling on the patches

but hey what do I know :rolleyes:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as i said also seen it happen in a std 243 using 58gr v max,had a hell of a job removing it,he now uses 65gr v max with Vit 140 and has never given a problem since also cleans better and shows a lot less powder fowling on the patches

but hey what do I know :rolleyes:

Oh it will coz at that weight he should be N150, not N140 IF it must be vhit and about 45 grns as the max. Powder has to burn to effectively leave carbon and do the slightest bit of good inside the barrel.

Oh it will coz at that weight he should be N150, not N140 IF it must be vhit and about 45 grns as the max. Powder has to burn to effectively leave carbon and do the slightest bit of good inside the barrel.

not with a short barrel :rolleyes: Vit 150 would be like a flame thrower out the end of the barrel as the powder woundet have all been burnt,but what do I know

Iam not going to keep arguing with you on this Varget can be a good powder BUT as i have said in a previous post "it CAN cause carbon build up in the throat" as I have personally experienced

Edited by Ackley

so this carbon effect could it be more of an issue if you are trying to extract every possible bit of speed out of a load and at or over max loadings. Seems Ackley you like pushing the limits whereas most of us "hobby" shooters use loads well within the guidelines. Carbon usually is a by product if you don't have efficient combustion so potentially finding it an issue with the lighter bullets and the AI variation and stoking it up a bit might well sort of answer itself

so this carbon effect could it be more of an issue if you are trying to extract every possible bit of speed out of a load and at or over max loadings. Seems Ackley you like pushing the limits whereas most of us "hobby" shooters use loads well within the guidelines. Carbon usually is a by product if you don't have efficient combustion so potentially finding it an issue with the lighter bullets and the AI variation and stoking it up a bit might well sort of answer itself

didnt you what I posted about seeing the exact same problem in a std Sako finlight 243 ??? also others have found the same problem on various web sites,Look mate Iam trying to offer advice on what I have come accross over a number of years reloading and testing various powders my advice "may" help someone if you dont want to listen thats fine but dont make out Iam lieing.

its a bit like H414 in the 243 again an old but good powder,I dont like it as its a ball powder and is very very dirty,I used to load this for a mate using 87gr bullets he wouldnt change no matter what I tried to do,I finally got him to try a batch of bullets using Vit 160 once he saw the difference with an extracted case and when the rifle was cleaned he finally gave in and changed

you lot use what your happy with

not with a short barrel :rolleyes: Vit 150 would be like a flame thrower out the end of the barrel as the powder woundet have all been burnt,but what do I know

Iam not going to keep arguing with you on this Varget can be a good powder BUT as i have said in a previous post "it CAN cause carbon build up in the throat" as I have personally experienced

Speaking of short barrels why even ack a .243.? Vhit 150 just happens to be recomended in many of my reloading data books, not a single mention of N140 so i suppose you know better. To me its a .308 win powder with 150-168 grn bullets Personally i see the .243" with heavier 75grn bullets anyhow but having to modify this now as 75 v-max are no more so its up the scale to the New 87 v-max or down to something else

Speaking of short barrels why even ack a .243.? Vhit 150 just happens to be recomended in many of my reloading data books, not a single mention of N140 so i suppose you know better. To me its a .308 win powder with 150-168 grn bullets Personally i see the .243" with heavier 75grn bullets anyhow but having to modify this now as 75 v-max are no more so its up the scale to the New 87 v-max or down to something else

you load to which ever book makes you happy mate,look in any reloading book at any caliber very few will show the exact same make of powder to use

and as to short barrels they need a faster powder hence 140 is better than 150,simple field testing prooves that and not lokinbg in books that use 26 inch test barrels

but again what do I know only been at it 15 years so still only a novice :rolleyes:

you load to which ever book makes you happy mate,look in any reloading book at any caliber very few will show the exact same make of powder to use

and as to short barrels they need a faster powder hence 140 is better than 150,simple field testing prooves that and not lokinbg in books that use 26 inch test barrels

but again what do I know only been at it 15 years so still only a novice :rolleyes:

You remind me of a description of experiance given to me by a mentor many years ago when i started in buisness. "some people have 25 yrs experiance, others have 25 x 1yr"

You remind me of a description of experiance given to me by a mentor many years ago when i started in buisness. "some people have 25 yrs experiance, others have 25 x 1yr"

Iam not exactly sure what that is suspose to mean but Iam sure there is an insult in there somewhere.

best of luck with your books

my advice from years of experience for whats its worth with a 243 is Vit 140 for up to 65gr bullets and Vit 160 for anyhting heavier,I loaded 65gr V max using 45gr of vit 140 of mate it shoot superb,good speed no pressure zeroed at 200 yards good for point and squirt to 300.

Agreed in principle Pete but I'm getting very good results with 41.2gn of 140 under 75gn vmax. Foxes don't like it at all. I certainly use 160 on heavier bullets though. :good:

Agreed in principle Pete but I'm getting very good results with 41.2gn of 140 under 75gn vmax. Foxes don't like it at all. I certainly use 160 on heavier bullets though. :good:

Dave

been there and tried it with 140 mate went back to 160 as it gave better FPS

Iam not exactly sure what that is suspose to mean but Iam sure there is an insult in there somewhere.

best of luck with your books

Well it only takes a little intelect and practice to read, there are adult education classes though if your struggling my wife has contacts through her job i might be able to help you out if your struggling. Take heart my friend

Well it only takes a little intelect and practice to read, there are adult education classes though if your struggling my wife has contacts through her job i might be able to help you out if your struggling. Take heart my friend

Mmmmmmmmmmmm instead of hiding behind silly little comments mate grow a set and say whats on your mind,be a man not a computor warrior,Oh I read very well good enough to see you aint got no balls

Why is when someone with a tad of knowledge speaks their mind and others don't agree it has to come down to insults?

always the same on every forum,spinless pc warriors,makes you wonmder what they would say to ones face :hmm: probably not alot

these people need to make petty insults as they have nothing else to bring to the table when something is being debated,its when the subject gets "OUT OF THERE DEPTH"

Edited by Ackley

I used Varget to great effect in the 243, but it's not the best powder for it. Most versatile... H414 please take a bow. works with everything from 55gr up to 100+. H4831SC worked for me very very well also.

However, the muppet at Kranks who said RL7 needs their head examining. It's waaaay too fast for 243, and as such gives rubbish results as demonstrated here. Ah well...