CLA Game Fair a good place to buy o/u?

Hi everyone,

I'll shortly be in the market for a new or 2nd hand O/U. I'm planning to go to the CLA Game Fair at Broadlands in July, and having never been before was wondering if it would be a good place to buy one.

Have any of you bought a shotgun there, and if so would you recommend it to others?

Thanks v. much.

Welcome to PW :good:

Game Fairs <can> be good places to buy at a discount, but I would be very sure you know what you want before you go there if that is what you intend to do. Also be familiar with actual prices, not RRP, picking up a copy of Gunmart would be good place to start.

I bought my .22 rimfire at the Midland Game fair (new) at a price I have never seen them for, before or after, but I knew exactly what I wanted and I knew a dealer just up the road from there had one in stock if I couldn't find a bargain at the fair anyway.

I am not sure I would buy secondhand from a fair, as the dealer may be from the other end of the country to you, but others may have done that with success, so see what they say.

I would add the secondhand rifles at the Midland (on the whole) look like the sort of thing you would buy to wedge a barn door open :lol:

Good luck at the fair, I wish I could go it clashes with our holiday, which I didn't book BTW! last time it was there the traffic was horendous, so we got dropped off a mile away and just walked in past all the cars of irate punters - easy ;)

Thanks for your responses and good advice. It's good to know there will be a lot of choice as I'm not very experienced with different guns. I've only ever shot with a 686, a Lanber and a J. Manton sbs. I'm very keen to handle a few before I make my choice. The problem is the money will be burning a hole in my pocket and I'll probably end up buying before the CLA GF. I guess I'll just have to buy 2. :good: