pigeon decoy

arpad

Hello,

I'm trying to find a pigeon decoy (preferrably full-bodied, collapsible is fine) and I was wondering if somebody could point me to a website that ships to the US.  I have been unable to find anything so far...  The pigeons I will be shooting are the dirty kind that live in the US inner-cities (I have no clue how else to describe them).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Arpad

Welcome Arpad, The pigeons you refer to are called "feral pigeons" over here.

I have never seen any decoys that closely resemble them. They will come to normal wood pigeon decoys set out in a field, as they are use to seeing them there.

You don,t have the European wood pigeon in America and so I don,t have a clue whether a wood pigeon decoy would work there or not.

If you decide to go ahead, I would recommend that you consider shell decoys. They are easier to pack for shipping and as effective as full-bodied.

I don,t like the inflatable decoys, but others here may have a different opinion.

Here are a few websites;

www.simpsonsofnewmarket.co.uk.

www.tmbdesigns.clara.net/indexpigeon.html

www.pigeonmagnet.co.uk

www.avalon-guns.com

A lot of suppliers don,t have websites, but would probably ship goods to the US.

I hope this helps , please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Anything else you need , just ask. :angry:

I live in LA by the USC campus, I'm mainly just trying to exterminate the pigeons that keep waking me in the morning and that cover everything with ****.  It doesn't rain here much, so pigeon **** becomes a permanent decoration on anything within a day of drying in the sun.  

I'd love to be get some headshots on them with my Ruger 10/22, but unfortunately that's out of the question because of the strict laws, so I bought a Chinese Air Rifle (B42 .22).  So far I'm up to 18 in the last 4 days.  I'm hoping to exterminate the entire pigeon population of USC singlehandedly...

There are plenty of crows, too.  I'd like to get one of those even more, but they seem to be smart enough to stay just far enough that their cries annoy me, yet just out of range of my B42 as well. I ended up buying a crow decoy as well as the pigeon decoys from www.avalon-guns.com, so hopefully that'll draw them a little closer.

Where in the states do your friends live?

I'd love to get into some more serious bird-hunting so I could put my Benelli Nova into action, but I don't know anybody that hunts, and dental school has taken up all my time.  I've heard of good dove-hunting just south of the mexican border, though.

What do you guys hunt with?  I heard the gun laws were so strict there that you aren't even allowed to have a .22 unless you own a farm and can prove that you have a rodent problem.

arpad, If you own an air rifle,a firearm and a shotgun, you are going to have fun here.

Each weapon has its supporters and enthusiasts on this forum.

My friends live in Georgia, Alabama, East Tennessee, North Florida and the Panhandle.

Most of their shooting is on hunting leases or commercial "plantations".

I have heard that the commercial dove shoots in Mexico are a bit "wild".

Fields with 50 guns in them, it seems a few people get wounded every season.

Most shooters from the US have the wrong idea about our gun laws.

A basic explanation is;

We are not able to own handguns (very few people ever did when we could), but we can apply for a licence to own a rifle (firearm), which has quite strict requirements regarding, character, usage, security etc .

There are similar licencing restrictions on shotgun ownership, but the "requirements" are not as strict.

Very powerful airguns come under the same heading as firearms.

Ordinary airguns do not require a licence.

As a "starving" student, you may be interested to know that pigeon taste really nice, even the feral ones. :angry:

I went to the basc game fair and to cut it short there was a guy desplaying how to decoy. He makes decoys and they are soooo life like He also dose feral ones which look amazin. I picked up a buisness card ill hunt it out and post the phone number later  :angry:  The flappers were amazin. He also dont geese and i think crow ones too

Cranfield: You guys don't have it quite as bad as I thought, then.  I heard there's a huge black market for handguns, though, and also that crimes with handgun usage have actually increased since handguns were banned.  Any truth in that?

Guess I'm not going on a Mexico shoot, then...  What would happen if one of my fingers got shot off?  It'd be all over for me...

William: lol that's hillarious, I guess that's why they **** so much, since nicotine causes diarrhea.

everygoodnamewastaken: I'd really appreciate that number, thanks  :angry:  Any ballpark on the price?

Welcome to you fella's from the States,

A set of 12 detailed decoys, will probably cost around £25 here, & the flock covered ones are a little more expensive.

Over here pigeon & crow shooting is quite popular. So you have to be one step ahead to keep the birds coming. A poor set of decoy's will almost certainly mean a slow day's shooting, but that might be because the birds have seen it all before & are wary of them.

A good day here for me would be 100 birds, & hopefully it's coming up to that time of the year, when it's possible to do it!!

Crumbs, you Americans are like our London buses.

We wait ages for one........ and then two turn up.   :angry:

There has been an increase in handgun related crime since the ban, but this is more to do with the influx of foreign criminals Russians, Jamaicans and Eastern Europeans etc, who come from places where guns are used more in crime.

It has nothing to do with gun control.

The good thing is, that the gun crimes seem to be mainly the bad guys shooting the bad guys.

If they promised to keep doing that , I would even contribute towards the cost of the ammunition. :angry:

The "top of the range" flock covered decoys lazza mentioned are around $7 each.

I do know of one chap in Georgia who has feral pigeon problems in his garden (probably about 5 acres of garden).

He gets a couple of bags of cheap corn and feeds an area ,away from his house , on a regular basis.

He then shoots the pigeons that come to feed with an air rifle.

He doesn,t use decoys, he says that the smaller birds feeding attract the ferals to come and take a look.

Bry, many, many years ago here, it was common to use painted glass milk bottles as pigeon decoys, that was just after they invented the wheel ,I think.  :angry:

Read some of the pigeon shooting reports on this site, they will give you a good idea of the ups and downs of the pigeon shooter.