drilled wheat

mrpip

Did a recce on Saturday afternoon, found a few pigeon feeding on a fresh drilled 10 acre wheat field, still loads of wheat & beans from last crop on top & it had not been rolled yet. This field has always produced decent bags in the past when its been rape or peas, there was a good flight line over far end steady flow of pigeon though most passing over onto neighbouring farm were I haven’t got the shooting. Went back on Sunday at 12.30 with my brother set up 2 hides 20 yds apart along a copse of willows & hawthorn overgrown with bramble & nettles which borders 1 side of the field, rotor & a rough U pattern with 10 shells between us. Bright sunshine at first steady shooting, then the wind picked up & it threatened rain, pigeon not committing to the pattern but being drawn to the rotor. Had some cracking high birds & testing shots, Both dogs worked hard with some excellent blind retrieves behind finished about 5 ish final count 70 pigeons picked & 1 crow, my total 41 & the crow. Noticed today good size bunches of birds starting to flock up especially when we were packing up estimated over 100 in 1 bunch heading back towards the roost area.

post-13005-0-29709300-1316551896.jpg

Did a recce on Saturday afternoon, found a few pigeon feeding on a fresh drilled 10 acre wheat field, still loads of wheat & beans from last crop on top & it had not been rolled yet. This field has always produced decent bags in the past when its been rape or peas, there was a good flight line over far end steady flow of pigeon though most passing over onto neighbouring farm were I haven’t got the shooting. Went back on Sunday at 12.30 with my brother set up 2 hides 20 yds apart along a copse of willows & hawthorn overgrown with bramble & nettles which borders 1 side of the field, rotor & a rough U pattern with 10 shells between us. Bright sunshine at first steady shooting, then the wind picked up & it threatened rain, pigeon not committing to the pattern but being drawn to the rotor. Had some cracking high birds & testing shots, Both dogs worked hard with some excellent blind retrieves behind finished about 5 ish final count 70 pigeons picked & 1 crow, my total 41 & the crow. Noticed today good size bunches of birds starting to flock up especially when we were packing up estimated over 100 in 1 bunch heading back towards the roost area.

Nice bag and write up :yes: not had chance to get on the drilling but had a client shoot 92 yesterday with more drillings going in on other farms over the last few days :good:

Nice bag and write up :yes: not had chance to get on the drilling but had a client shoot 92 yesterday with more drillings going in on other farms over the last few days :good:

plenty of drilling around me, some never been touched, caught this area just right before it was rolled. Passed a field of rape today just showing 20 plus feeding, but probably on whats left of the previous wheat, theres plenty of rape & winter linseed going in this year, been told price is high. cheers

plenty of drilling around me, some never been touched, caught this area just right before it was rolled. Passed a field of rape today just showing 20 plus feeding, but probably on whats left of the previous wheat, theres plenty of rape & winter linseed going in this year, been told price is high. cheers

All my rape is in some 120 fields :blink: some of it is already 5 inches tall wont really see any action for another month as plenty of stubble and drilling plus sugar beet coming out early after last years bad weather :yes: