Help on advised buying & selling process

FreeZey

Hi All,

I've read the PINs but they don't go into much deal about the best way to actually perform the exchange/purchase of the gun. Other than avoiding risky methods like PayPal etc.

I'm currently arranging the private sale of shotgun with another user and wondered how the RFD system worked.

Does he take to it his local RFD who then ships it to my local one, just as if they're a secure courier. Then when my RFD receives it I go and take a look and if I'm happy BACS the money directly to his account. When he confirms it's arrived in his account he informed my RFD that they can release the gun at which time (or before) they also check my shotgun license.

How do I authenticate that I've paid? I assume if there's a dispute over this the RFD will hold the gun until it resolved.

Thanks for the help.

Does he take to it his local RFD who then ships it to my local one, just as if they're a secure courier. Then when my RFD receives it I go and take a look and if I'm happy BACS the money directly to his account. When he confirms it's arrived in his account he informed my RFD that they can release the gun at which time (or before) they also check my shotgun license.

No! You buy the gun unseen and pay before the vendor hands it in to their RFD.

If I've bought things from members who are quite new I have asked them to lodge the gun with their RFD, rang the RFD to confirm they had the gun and then sent payment.

You are not having the gun sent for your approval, you've bought it. IF the seller will take it back you will be liable for all return fees.

What if I send the money and they say I didn't? I'm doubtful of this case but I like foolproof processes :)

Then you lose your money. I have been scammed once for an air rifle on here :(

You need to exercise due diligence. Personally if people are prepared to give you their home address and preferably a landline number it goes a long way (especially if you check that with directory enquiries). I have asked for a scan or photocopy of some photographic ID before now (I got a front page of a SGC that I then burnt). If someone has been on here a few years, is 'known' and has a trading history I don't worry too much. If I have doubts I fish for more info. The time I was scammed was a good bit my fault for not asking the right questions the first time. As for an extra photo to be emailed of the other side, to make sure they actually have the item in their possession.

There was a recent scam over on another forum. A chap selling some high value scopes at a daft price. I started a PM conversation with him but he was very unwilling to give any personal details. I wished him luck and left the sale, some members got stung for money :(

There is no foolproof process, at least when dealing with 'proper' firearms you have to be a licensed, honest person to have them.

Then you lose your money. I have been scammed once for an air rifle on here :(

There is no foolproof process, at least when dealing with 'proper' firearms you have to be a licensed, honest person to have them.

I'm utterly amazed that there is no safe escrow process for these kind of transactions. Even if I confirm someone's identity it's only a means to start my own legal proceedings, not what I'd call protection.

Crazy.

There is, RFDNET.NET

Thanks that looks like a good solution, I new if there was a need someone would start a business to fill it :)

If you like foolproof drive over to see the gun.

True, there's almost always a possible solution. How practical it is through is a sliding scale.