Ruger 10 22

bam bam o yeah

I think it's a great bit of kit...

I know it's supposedly not as accurate as a bolt action rifle, but if I miss a rabbit at 75m from the truck when lamping, it's me who's at fault, not the rifle.

Excellent when lamping, no faffing about with the bolt, keep it clean and use decent ammo and it will do everything you need.

Fun to shoot too!

Mine's a bull barrelled target one - 14 years old and looks almost brand new.

:good::good:

I love mine would not be without one but they need a couple of tweaks IMHO

Auto Bolt Release ABR or CST hold open mod

rubber recoil buffer

Trigger hammer kit

Nice to haves

Hogue stock

Shorter barrel

Agree with that ^^^

Add extended mag release too if not already done.

My stock is a laminated one ( standard on the target model and the trigger is much better too )

The great thing is, most of the mods cost less than £20!

I have had a 10/22 for years. Well all that's left is receiver. It Hal volquartzen barrell, extended mag release, rubber recoil pin. All the little niffs and naffs. But for vermin shooting in the field wouldn't advise a extended mag release as its easy to catch and in my experience loosing mag lol.

just had a ruger added to my cert alongside my CZ bolt action, picked it up friday, tested it out saturday, and Im still grinning :D

have a look on utube and you'll see the mods that most people make to them, try watching english stuff, as usa goes the full hog with fully auto stuff :lol:

I put 100 CCI's through mine with not one jam to the rifle, the mag did jam, but that was due to the last owner putting oil into it, rather than stripping and cleaning it :D

Cz452 all the way

3 reasons.

1) I don't like semi-auto from a safety and reliability side

2) Everyone has to mod their 10/22, prob because they are **** out of the box, rarely people mod trigger on cz, not necessary IMO, seems must have on 10/22!

3) I havnt heard many people shout about 10/22 accuracy, CZ seems to be classed as a tack-driver by most, me included!

I await many contradictory posts re accuracy and reliability etc, but I bet these are for modded 10/22s rather that out of box!

have a look on utube and you'll see the mods that most people make to them

I put 100 CCI's through mine... the mag did jam, but that was due to the last owner putting oil into it, rather than stripping and cleaning it :D

I rest my case, countless mods required and a jam within 100 shots!

I have put over 1000 rounds through my cz, no jam on rifle or mag, and never oiled mag! No need! Keep it simple!!!

Anyone would think I hate 10/22s, nah I leave that to everyone else, I just love my cz!

I rest my case, countless mods required and a jam within 100 shots!

I have put over 1000 rounds through my cz, no jam on rifle or mag, and never oiled mag! No need! Keep it simple!!!

Anyone would think I hate 10/22s, nah I leave that to everyone else, I just love my cz!

Read the post put a piece of wood in the mag of your cz see if it feeds!

I have a played with 10/22 because I was bore and could play with it but used it a standard for the first 10 years and it work prefectly well.

Not as accurate as a bolt action but lamping I only shoot to 60 yards it perfectly accurate at those ranges. Day time I just use my anschutz if I want to shoot future out but normally get closer anyway so can use the 10/22 but no I can't shoot the eyebrows off a rabbit at 3 miles with the Ruger but I can kill one at 125 yards but prefer to be closer.

10/22 is slated by lots of people who have never used one.

Funny how there is a whole industry built on the necessity to improve the 10/22

I was going to comment on how you had'ent read my post, but welshwarrior beat me to it, like everything, its horses for courses, different tools for different jobs, and different opinions for different rifles, yes as a first rifle, a bolt action may be better for a new license holder to get to grips with, as you say, most work straight from the box, without the need for improvements, my bog standard CZ siloette is just like that, however, a self loader does give a big grin factor to the user, theres lots of pro's to them too, the one Ive just picked up is bog standard, in fact, my bolt action HAS HAD EJECTION JAMS, where it dont flick out the spent cartridge correctly, my semi HAS NOT, the alterations I want/will make to it, are for MY BENEFIT not the rifles

shooting my bolt action, stationary rabbits only, but Ive heard, so its only heresay, but a guy I was chatting too when I picked up my semi (ruger) told me that he could shoot and hit running rabbits, ok, he was probably giving 2, or maybe 3 shots in quick succession ??? to do so, its feesable with a semi, not with a bolt, but like you say, someone else will come and contradict me,

so, back to the question in hand, my advice, go for a CZ bolt action, spend a year getting used to it, then put in for a variation of a 2nd rifle, and get a ruger, you'll be grinning like a cheshire cat for weeks, or scowling like chr15j for years :lol:

Just put in for my FAC Everything is already inplace and waiting to go . I've got my eyes on a ruger 10/22 Just wanted your views on this LR ie what faults it has etc ATB John

when filling out the forms, does it not ask for "type" ie bolt action or semi, if so, Ipersume you'vre asked for a self loader/semi :hmm: in which case the above arguments over bolt action or semi will be irrelivent, and you'll just want the pro's and con's of a RUGER

pro's

GRIN FACTOR

EASIER 2ND,3RD,4TH ETC ETC SHOT (IN MY OPINION)

probably good to around 100yds (I only ever shoot 60-70yds or less)

did I mention grin factor :D

con's

you'll use a lot of ammo, but CCI's are only £36 per 1000 in essex

needs to be kept clean, inc mags to stop jams

Edited by stubby

Grin factor...you sound like some American gun nut

I prob sound like an old stick in the mud but...

If when giving an FEO a reason for getting a semi- auto I said I wanted it due to grin factor Ikenow what he would say, and it isn't 'fair enuf off you go'

IMO shooting is serious and blasting at rabbits on the move does not constitute safe shooting, there is no way you can say you are paying full regard to backdrop etc if blasting round after round at a bunny on the move you are clearly focussing solely on the bunny and not where it's going or what is around it

To be safe each shot needs to be considered, backstop confirmed and surroundings and random trespassing dog walkers accounted for.

Oh and if you cannot be sure to hit a rabbit 1st time giving a clean kill what makes you think you will have any more luck on next shots, you can't be sure thus it's both unsafe and unethical.

I am surprised any responsible shooter would advocate:

1) grin factor over reliability and accuracy

2) taking pot shots at moving rabbits hoping to hit it with one if the 10 shots in their jam prone magazine

I apologise if I sound harsh but I have strong views on safety and accuracy (and the 10/22 does not appear to bring that out in too many shooters)

Edited by Chr15j

when filling out the forms, does it not ask for "type" ie bolt action or semi, if so, Ipersume you'vre asked for a self loader/semi :hmm: in which case the above arguments over bolt action or semi will be irrelivent, and you'll just want the pro's and con's of a RUGER

pro's

GRIN FACTOR

EASIER 2ND,3RD,4TH ETC ETC SHOT (IN MY OPINION)

probably good to around 100yds (I only ever shoot 60-70yds or less)

did I mention grin factor :D

con's

you'll use a lot of ammo, but CCI's are only £36 per 1000 in essex

needs to be kept clean, inc mags to stop jams

When they ask for "type" they are not asking for the Action type but what the gun is. see below, this is copy from an other shooting forum and is giving info on how to fill in you FAC form.

Type

This section is simply asking firearm you want, e.g. a Rifle, Pistol, Muzzle Loading Pistol, Humane Despatch tool etc etc.

You do not need to be so specific as to list the type of ACTION of the firearm e.g. Bolt-Action Rifle, just Rifle, is all they want/need.

Edited by pigeon street

Grin factor...you sound like some American gun nut

I prob sound like an old stick in the mud but...

If when giving an FEO a reason for getting a semi- auto I said I wanted it due to grin factor Ikenow what he would say, and it isn't 'fair enuf off you go'

IMO shooting is serious and blasting at rabbits on the move does not constitute safe shooting, there is no way you can say you are paying full regard to backdrop etc if blasting round after round at a bunny on the move you are clearly focussing solely on the bunny and not where it's going or what is around it

To be safe each shot needs to be considered, backstop confirmed and surroundings and random trespassing dog walkers accounted for.

Oh and if you cannot be sure to hit a rabbit 1st time giving a clean kill what makes you think you will have any more luck on next shots, you can't be sure thus it's both unsafe and unethical.

2) taking pot shots at moving rabbits hoping to hit it with one if the 10 shots in their jam prone magazine

I apologise if I sound harsh but I have strong views on safety and accuracy (and the 10/22 does not appear to bring that out in too many shooters)

I dont think you have to give your FEO any reason to get a semi. just put down .22lr the chose is yours when you buy. :good:

again, I hope your reading the posts fully before jumping on the keyboard, as I said, my quote was from "another shooter" not myself.

seems no one will ever convince you over a semi's merits, and theres no need to really,

1) grin factor over reliability and accuracy - I have had no more jams with my Ruger than any bolt action I have owned.

I have never had the outstanding Ruger rotary magazine fail me, cheap butler creek stuff does fail it's **** hence cheap, I did have a CZ mag dent on my 17 HMR had to buy a new one, so the CZ must be rubbish.

The 10/22 has nothing to do with a shooters safety and accuracy I'm no more dangerous with my 10/22 than my other 22, 17 HMR, 223, 303, 308 or 338 work rifle.

I you feel a gun makes you a dangerous shot you are no better than a tree hugging liberal who wants to ban all legal guns because drugs deals shot at people with illegal guns.

You obvisously don't like semi auto rifles, you probable join posts on Hatsans but have never used one

this is what ****** me off about internet forums

RANT over

Stubby that ABR is in the post to you enjoy it but don't tell Chr15j you enjoyed shooting your rifle.

Edited by welshwarrior

The 10/22 has nothing to do with a shooters safety and accuracy I'm no more dangerous with my 10/22 than my other 22, 17 HMR, 223, 303, 308 or 338 work rifle.

I you feel a gun makes you a dangerous shot you are no better than a tree hugging liberal who wants to ban all legal guns because drugs deals shot at people with illegal guns.

You obvisously don't like semi auto rifles, you probable join posts on Hatsans but have never used one

this is what ****** me off about internet forums

RANT over

Stubby that ABR is in the post to you enjoy it but don't tell Chr15j you enjoyed shooting your rifle.

Talk about missing the point!!!!!

I enjoy shooting my cz.

When someone gives a pro of grin factor but acknowledges con of poor accuracy compared to a bolt action, I do question the motive of purchase. A gun is not a toy!

Additionally I was making comment of the post about someone using a semi to hit bolting rabbits. no way can anyone take into account backstop, poss of richochet, poss of random dog walker and guarantee a clean kill on a bolting bunny whilst looking down a scope squeezing off rounds hoping one will hit! One word, UNSAFE!

Btw semi auto shotguns a totally diff thing.

Edited by Chr15j